The Who Sell Out (Side I)  » Music  »
  • Once track three comes around, the traditional Who sound is back and it sounds pretty nice in my opinion
  • I know The Who didn’t experiment much with a psychedelic sound, but they pull it off very nicely with this track, great opening song
  • Heinz Baked Beans – Quite an interesting second track on the album
  • I have to say that after listening to Armenia City In The Sky and Heinz Baked Beans, The Who are definitely aiming for quite a different sound on this record
  • I Can See For Miles – Well after being slightly disappointed with Our Love Was, I’m extremely glad that The Who ended this side of the record with I Can See For Miles, which is probably my second favorite track on this side

• by Grimmy101

Overview – Side I of The Who Sell Out introduces the first half of this concept record with a group of seven songs which seem to work nicely together and actually pass by quite quickly. After listening to the first two tracks, I was thinking this record was going to be extremely experimental since the opening track sounds very psychedelic while the second track is just strange, but this isn’t the case. Once track three comes around, the traditional Who sound is back and it sounds pretty nice in my opinion. Most of the tracks on this side of the album are pretty laid back and don’t have a lot of attitude to them, but the songwriting on them in strong. Side I is a strong half, but there is room for improvement with Side II.

The Tracks –

1. Armenia City In The Sky – The tone that Armenia City In The Sky has is just excellent, it sounds very psychedelic to me which is

quite a contrast to the sound that The Who had on their debut record and even on A Quick One. I understand that The Who didn’t actually write this song, which sort of explains why it’s so different with their usual style, but their execution on the track is excellent. The vocal melody flows incredibly smoothly throughout the track, even almost drowning in it – explaining the psychedelic feel, and the wide instrumentation used on here is great. I know The Who didn’t experiment much with a psychedelic sound, but they pull it off very nicely with this track, great opening song.

2. Heinz Baked Beans – Quite an interesting second track on the album. The song isn’t traditional in any sense and is basically a trumpet and some slightly background parts playing in between a few spoken phrases. I have to say that after listening to Armenia City In The Sky and Heinz Baked Beans, The Who are definitely aiming for quite a different sound on this record.

3. Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand – Now that we’ve gotten to the third track, it’s finally starting to sound more like The Who. The overall sound and the music of the track is a lot more, well normal, sounding than the previous tracks although the lyrics are still somewhat strange and obscure. The song has a nice melody to it and it flows nicely but it doesn’t really have anything to it that’s really special, The opening track had an extremely psychedelic tone while the previous song was just strange in thought and concept, not bad work though.

4. Odorono – Well first off, the vocal performance on the previous track was sort of just a very sweet and calming delivery, but the performance on this track sounds a bit more personal in my opinion, there’s just more character and tone behind it. Similar to the previous track, there isn’t anything which makes this track very unique or anything, but I suppose it ...

• The Who Sell Out (Side I)
      gets progressively better as it moves along. The vocal performance is strong and the backing vocals towards the end of the song works nicely in my opinion. Excellent vocal melody and vocal delivery, but the song overall could’ve used something a bit more unique about it.

5. Tattoo – The lyrics of this track deal with storytelling and they’re sort of humorous to listen to this time around. The vocal harmonies throughout this song sound really pretty to me, The Who did a bit of this on the previous track but I’m glad they continued on with it. Very humorous lyrics, a very well flowing vocal performance once again, and a good arrangement. It may not strike me or be as memorable as Armenia City In The Sky, but I still enjoy the song.

6. Our Love Was – Not really an amazing track in my opinion, but it does pick up nicely towards the end of the song. The first half or slightly more of the

song strikes me as just a bit boring and it’s just sort of a generic song, but I guess towards the end I started to like it a bit more. One thing about this side of the record is that I thought the lyrics to all of the tracks so far have been pretty good, or humorous, but the lyrics to this track just strike me as generic which I’m not a huge fan of. Not a terrible track, but probably my least favorite on this side.

7. I Can See For Miles – Well after being slightly disappointed with Our Love Was, I’m extremely glad that The Who ended this side of the record with I Can See For Miles, which is probably my second favorite track on this side. The lyrics are strong once again but the vocal parts and melodies are what really make this song what it is. The performance is strong and it works with Townshend’s guitar playing very well, very nice song.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142809850910630/k2311a0928/9.28.09