The Who - A Quick One (Side I)  » Music  »
  • I think that a lot of this mix is due to how the songwriting on this side of the record is shared pretty evenly so you get a feel for Townshend’s, Entwistle’s, and Moon’s style of writing
  • This definitely isn’t the case with this side of the record as it goes from a track like Run Run Run, which is pretty predictable yet solid in my opinion to something like Cobwebs And Strange which has a sound that’s completely unpredictable, it’s an excellent variety
  • This song is extremely lighthearted and Entwistle’s style of singing conveys this perfectly, a track I enjoy quite a bit to be honest
  • However, obviously since I’m listening to The Who I should at least try and listen to Keith Moon’s work, and this is definitely a track where I notice it whether I want to or not
  • If you can imagine circus music which is written in a very strange way, that’s probably the best way that I could describe Cobwebs And Strange

• by Grimmy101

Overview – Side I of The Who’s second album, A Quick One, is a pretty nice mix of traditional sounding songs, more energetic rock and roll songs, humorous songs, and just downright strange songs. I think that a lot of this mix is due to how the songwriting on this side of the record is shared pretty evenly so you get a feel for Townshend’s, Entwistle’s, and Moon’s style of writing. One complaint I had about listening to The Who Sell Out, which is the record to follow this one, is that the songs sometimes felt as if they were just too similar to each other. This definitely isn’t the case with this side of the record as it goes from a track like Run Run Run, which is pretty predictable yet solid in my opinion to something like Cobwebs And Strange which has a sound that’s completely unpredictable, it’s an excellent variety.

The Tracks –

1. Run Run Run –The opening track starts

out this album in an energetic fashion and wastes no time getting into it. I’m not sure who, but just the sound and attitude of this track reminds me of another band, probably another one from the British invasion. I suppose it sort of sounds like The Beatles, but it has a bit more attitude to it in my opinion. Townshend’s solo on this track fits nicely and I was actually surprised at how it sounded, I’m really not that familiar with Townshend’s playing at this point. A simple track with a simple arrangement but it serves nicely as an opening for the album and sets up the rest of the album well.

2. Boris The Spider – Entwistle sounds absolutely brilliant singing on this track, as he generally does, and the lyrics are just so childish that it’s great. To contrast very nicely with track one, Boris The Spider has very humorous lyrics and delivery and is just a lot less of a generic or predictable track. This song is extremely lighthearted and Entwistle’s style of singing conveys this perfectly, a track I enjoy quite a bit to be honest.

3. I Need You – Generally, I don’t really pay attention to that many drummers when I listen to music, the only two that really come to my head right away are John Bonham and Dave Lombardo to be honest. However, obviously since I’m listening to The Who I should at least try and listen to Keith Moon’s work, and this is definitely a track where I notice it whether I want to or not. Moon’s drumming sounds so powerful on this track, overpowering even, that it’s really impossible for me to ignore his strength and power of playing. Sort of ironic how a pretty mellow and melodic track has such powerful drumming behind it but it works very nicely.

4. Whiskey Man – Another track sung by Entwistle and another strong song in my opinion. There are certain ...

• The Who - A Quick One (Side I)
      singers who you can just pick up sort of a lighthearted mood from them, the two that come to my mind would have to be Syd Barrett and Jerry Garcia, but now I’m thinking John Entwistle is going to be coming up as well from now on. There just seems to be something about John Entwistle that conveys such a cheerful mood, and his lyrics somehow always find the best vocal melody imaginable. I really like Pete Townshend, but I have to give a lot of credit to Entwistle for his songwriting as well.

5. Heat Wave – I understand that this song is a cover and not an original, but The Who sound pretty good playing it. The song sort of strikes me as a more energetic and faster version of Run Run Run, as far as just feel goes, which I think is a pretty good sound. Since it’s a cover, I can’t really commend about the songwriting of this track or anything

so I don’t have very much to say but I will say that it does get your energy up and it’s a catchy track to get into.

6. Cobwebs And Strange – I can’t even begin to describe how strange the instrumentation on this track sounds, obviously fitting well with the title. If you can imagine circus music which is written in a very strange way, that’s probably the best way that I could describe Cobwebs And Strange. What’s even funnier about this track is that for all of the parts that the “circus” instrumentation would play, Keith Moon would match it in a drum pattern. Now I said that I Need You showcased Moon’s power and ability, but his playing on that track probably sounds weak compared to his playing on this song. The track is so obscure but it manages to showcase how brilliant Moon’s playing is which I personally think is quite ironic. A great ending to this half of the album.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142809850890630/k2311a0928/9.28.09