The National Library in Manila, Philippines  » Education  »
T.M. Kalaw St., Manila, Philippines
  • Still, I’m not losing hope that the management would receive the unwavering help, in making an auspicious place, where knowledge would be within reach and without charge

• by carpediem

Thesis, I must say, is the most grueling task I’ve done as a student. Resources are very important to support one’s idea. Internet helped me in gathering studies, done by students from other countries. When I have to work on local study, the library in my university doesn’t provide much reference, in spite of scouring the shelves, catalogue and database of all the materials in the library. The National Library located in T.M. Kalaw St., Manila, Philippines, was my last resort to accomplish my thesis—the ticket to graduation day.

The first floor was where I had to leave my bag;

I’m allowed to take personal belongings such as wallet, cellphone and of course pen and paper or notebook. Reader’s card is compulsory; I already forgot how much I’ve paid for it. The different sections are located in their designated floors. I had to write the number in my reader’s card upon entering in every floor, in a logbook. The space is spacious enough for books, desk, chairs and researchers like me. The first thing I searched for is the computer containing the supposed database. It didn’t help at all, as it wasn’t able to search the keyword that I’ve entered; ...

• their database really could use some improvement, in source code and interface, or better yet, a major revision. I was coerced to use the traditional catalogue; it took away a lot of my precious time, even so the effort was not in vain, since I get what I’m looking for, after all the reading and flipping.

The last time I used a catalogue was when I was in high school; a library as huge as the National Library must have a competent database, for the benefit of students or anyone, who still finds time to read away from the comfort of

his home. The thesis section are well organized, thus I was able to find the names of the theses I’ve listed earlier. The thesis is not allowed to be photocopied; this rule really tested my patience and perseverance as I wrote important information. Researching in the National Library was exhausting and exasperating.

It’s been four years since that day. With regard to any improvement, I’m not aware, if effort or plan has been made. Still, I’m not losing hope that the management would receive the unwavering help, in making an auspicious place, where knowledge would be within reach and without charge.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 502809850660630/k2311a0928/9.28.09