Sigma USB Web Camera  » Hardware  »
  • I prefer jpeg, though it would result to a larger file size—I’m more concerned of clarity and quality
  • If you’re short in budget, I think you can exclude Sigma from your choices

• by carpediem

Online chatting is the reason why I pondered of buying a web camera, but it was the design of Sigma USB Web Camera that mobilized me, than to think further. For a web camera, Sigma’s price of more than Php 1,000.00 is a bit high. This price was justified, not only by its pixel but also by its light.

Sigma is a black web camera with a base similar to a tripod, only that Sigma’s base is smaller and plump. It

comes with a built-in microphone, but I never used it since I’m much comfortable of using a headset. There are those, who like to chat late at night; the six lights, at the side of the lens, are of great help to them. The light from lamps or other sources of light may be turned off, because the light emanating from Sigma is bright enough. This feature comes with a controller for adjusting the intensity of light.

Installing Sigma was easy; first I attached in into one of the USB ports, then a message appeared telling a new hardware was detected. Next, I put the mini CD containing the driver for Sigma. The instructions were simple and straightforward, moments later I am like looking at the mirror, seeing myself on the monitor. The default resolution is 640 X 480, but it is replaceable with any of the seven resolutions: 320 X 240, the smallest and 1280 X 1024, the largest.

By choosing Sigma, I ...

• Sigma USB Web Camera
      have two options in taking a picture: I can either use the mouse or the small button at the top of the web cam. The latter allows me to take the camera and move a little further, since it has a long cable; I can take a picture whenever I’m ready. Pictures are saved either in jpeg or bitmap; I prefer jpeg, though it would result to a larger file size—I’m more concerned of clarity and quality. Apart from taking pictures,
      I was able to take videos; on the contrary, I would refrain in using this feature if I have a digital camera. The videos taken were a bit disappointing: one could notice the lag in movement.

Sigma is good enough, in terms of online chatting. If you’re short in budget, I think you can exclude Sigma from your choices; since I suppose you can do away with some of its features, and settle for a web camera with a lower price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 332809850650630/k2311a0928/9.28.09