Loves Me, Loves Me Not: The Ethics of Unrequited Love by Laura A. Smit  » Books  »
0.5
  • I wanted a book that I could connect with and help me to move past feelings that continue to surface even though it has now been several years since I last saw and talked to the person that I had fallen deeply in love with but had not felt the same way about me

• by GenesisOne

Loves Me, Loves Me Not: The Ethics of Unrequited Love by Laura A. Smit is a book that was of really no help to me.

The reason it was of no help was two reasons: much of the book is written from a Christian or spiritual perspective and also, the argument is made for celibacy.

I did not find it to be helpful in enabling me to cope better with feelings of hopelessness

and emptiness or make it a little easier to put a person that I once spent almost every day with out of my mind and memories.

I just could not connect with the author at any point and her words and beliefs just seemed to be distant from the feelings that I have had to cope with.

In part, I am sure it is because she comes at it from a Christian angle ...

• and I am an agnostic, but I did not think that would result in the book being completely unhelpful to me.

It also did not sit well with me the way celibacy is promoted.

I have nothing against that way of lifestyle, but it is not what I was looking for when I took this book and some others out of the library.

I wanted a book that I could connect with and

help me to move past feelings that continue to surface even though it has now been several years since I last saw and talked to the person that I had fallen deeply in love with but had not felt the same way about me.

I am grateful that I did not purchase this book and instead borrowed it from the library because if I had actually paid for it, I would have felt additional pain.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172709850020630/k2311a0927/9.27.09