Vals Day SCA Event  » Entertainment  »
  • The area for the merchants are jam-packed and I think it was almost impossible to see them all during the afternoon we were there
  • Most of the classes were free and completely informational and I really enjoyed myself
  • The fees were about $10 for non-members, maybe a dollar or two more, and they could've had more informational flyers available, especially for those who don't belong to the SCA, but it was still an enjoyable experience and I'm planning to go again next year

• by Anasuya

My husband and I have, for most of our lives, been strangely fascinated with Renaissance festivals, and the Medieval Ages in general. We have a collection of books and movies and clothing and household decore that shows this unlikely love of ours. And, I’m proud to say, we have friends who encourage the sharing of these things and have similar interests. That comes along far and few between. And it was one of these friends who, two years ago, introduced us to the SCA, which stands for Society for Creative Anachronism, and is akin to a year-round traveling mini Renaissance Festival. No matter what state you live in and even what country you live in, you are likely to find an SCA group near you, holding their own events (which they are required to do by Kingdom law), and having a general merry time.

One such event is Vals Day Northern Michigan. Locations can vary depending on the hall that is rented out, and if they can get the same location as the year

before by jumping on it early enough in the planning of that years events by local groups. Price of admission and time of year also varies, though this particular event is noted for being held near Valentines Day (hence the name). It is one of the few Michigan SCA events held in the dead of winter. Last year, they rented a huge indoor arena, and fighters were gathered in droves to showcase their talents and battle each other. It was, I admit, highly claustrophobic, and you have to get there early and claim your spot, else you risk ending up in the unheated hallway with all the other stragglers.

For the number of people who showed up, and continue to show up year after year, they really need to invest in a larger hall because it’s almost difficult to move at times. The area for the merchants are jam-packed and I think it was almost impossible to see them all during the afternoon we were there. There were a variety of merchants and ...

• they were all of very high quality. You might see one or two merchants with items that looked very amatuerish, but for the most part, there was a significant amount of shopping to be done.

Watching the fighting was near impossible, because there were so many fighters waiting for their turns that you couldn’t see past THEM to the ones actually fighting at the time. But there were classes being held in various rooms in the building, such as dancing and classes on historical garments and such. Most of the classes were free and completely informational and I really enjoyed myself. It’s one thing to attend a Renaissance festival and another thing entirely to become a part of it and truly participate, and that’s what this event allows you to do. Of course, you can’t fight unless you’ve had supervised training and your gear is approved by a fighting marshall, but there were so many other things to do at this event…. mostly shopping.

It was worth the three hour drive to get there,

and I only wished we were able to stay longer, as they were having parties and dances and such well into the night. If you don’t like the idea of active participation and you just can’t stand the idea of shopping, then this isn’t the event for you, because it’s really one or the other to keep you occupied. But if you DO like these things, then you’ll have as much fun, if not more, than I did.

Again, you can feel clastrophobic, and it’s hard to move through the throng of people to get from one area in the building to another, and the lack of heating in the hallway, which seperates the seperate sections from each other, proves a little uncomfortable, but aside from that, it wasn’t completely enjoyable. The fees were about $10 for non-members, maybe a dollar or two more, and they could’ve had more informational flyers available, especially for those who don’t belong to the SCA, but it was still an enjoyable experience and I’m planning to go again next year.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592709849560530/k2311a0927/9.27.09