ShamWow  » Housewares  »
  • Still, despite how much I enjoy cleaning, I still like to make the process a smoother one
  • It was $20, which was silly, considering you can go to Kmart and buy five towels for that cost, but you get a few extra ones thrown in

• by Anasuya

I like to clean. I’m probably one of the few neat freaks out there who truly do enjoy cleaning any mess, toilets, bathtubs, you name it, and I’ve somehow put my cleaning name on it. I find it therapuetic in a variety of ways. The actual process may not be relaxing, but it certainly has benefits when you’re all done and get to relax in your newly cleaned home, room or bathtub. Still, despite how much I enjoy cleaning, I still like to make the process a smoother one. Any prodcuts that claim to do a multitude of things are the first ones I go for. Any kind of three-in-one type of cleaner or towel or scrub-brush is a sure sale for me as far as I’m concerned. Some of them work and some of them don’t, but I have fun trying them out, regardless.

I was watching some late night informercials for lack of anything else better to do, and saw one

for the ShamWow, which is basically a towel than can abosrb up to ten times its own weight. It was $20, which was silly, considering you can go to Kmart and buy five towels for that cost, but you get a few extra ones thrown in. I’m always amused by informercials that claim their product is the only one of (fill in the blank) that you’ll ever need, but then they supply extras. Go figure. But, after my husband told me that his coworker uses it all the time and loves it, I figured why the heck not, and ended up finding it in a store in one of our malls that sells those as-seen-on-tv products.

I’ll first sum it up by saying it makes a good towel. But is it this magic carpet ride of cleanliness that picks up any spill on any surface? Absolutely not. It’s machine washable, which is nice, but it loses its absorbancy after several washes. And the ...

• absorbancy wasn’t quite as special as the informercials claim to begin with. I used it to clean up a spilled drink, and that seemed to work well enough. I had to go over it twice… not the magic one-time-needed as you see on tv… but it did clean the mess up without being left with a dripping towel afterwards. But when I had a leak underneath my kitchen sink was the real test. I immediately grabbed a dishtowel and went to hold the leak on the pipe while my husband rushed downstairs to turn the water off, and the towel got soaked. So, tada! I’ll use my nifty ShamWow. Uh, yeah…. didn’t work. The water was spewing everywhere except into the ShamWow towel.

So, I guess it works on some things but not others. The aforementioned coworker of my husband says he uses it solely when washing his car, and loves it, but I’m a household clean freak and need it for my

daily chores and messes and spills. This worked really no better than your basic towel. And, just like a regular towel or dishrag, it leaves streaks on windows and glass products, and little pieces of lint are always left behind. It’s not really all that soft to the touch either, and I find it particularly abbrassive. I read somewhere to soak them in water before use, ring it out, and for some reason it’s more absorbant that way, and I did find that this works, but when you have a sudden mess on the floor, all you want to do is reach for something and mop it up. I don’t want to have to do prep work first.

I suppose it’s a decent enough towel, but it by no means does all the superman cleaning actions it claims to. Save your money. You can get a roll of paper towels for $.67 at the grocery store. And you don’t have to wash those aftewards!

ShamWow

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532709849530530/k2311a0927/9.27.09