Maytag Jet Clean Dishwasher  » Housewares  »
  • I had always grown up with a dishwasher, and I found it odd to run across households that didn't have one
  • So, it's been running strong for four years now and we haven't noticed anything bad about it
  • We only have enough dishes for a place setting of four, so we use the dishwasher almost daily, and a four-place setting set of dishes isn't a lot, but it fills up the dishwasher and then some, when you consider we go through more glasses and silverwear
  • Problem is, you don't really want it that full
  • Four years old, only cost, from what I was told, about $150, and it's be a gem once we got through the kinks and figured out the best way to work with it

• by Anasuya

After eight years of living in a dinky mobile home that didn’t have anything fancy in the way of appliances, I was ecstatic to finally get into our new condo which came equipped with its very own dishwasher. Or rather, I should say that my KIDS were ecstatic, because this meant they no longer had to wash their dishes by hand. And, seeing their happiness, I was happy. I had always grown up with a dishwasher, and I found it odd to run across households that didn’t have one. It’s one of those creature comforts in life that you take for granted until you no longer have one. People who have never had one don’t miss it, but I can sure tell you that during the eight years I didn’t have one, I missed it…. a LOT.

Our condo is a small two bedroom upstairs unit, and the kitchen leaves something to be desired in its size, so I was surprised to notice a dishwasher there at all, though not quite as surprised to notice how small it was. It’s a very dainty Maytag Jet Clean

dishwasher, that was about three years old when we moved in last year. So, it’s been running strong for four years now and we haven’t noticed anything bad about it. But, here are a few things we HAVE noticed about it:

It isn’t very large, therefore, you are limited on the number of items you can successfully squeeze in there. We only have enough dishes for a place setting of four, so we use the dishwasher almost daily, and a four-place setting set of dishes isn’t a lot, but it fills up the dishwasher and then some, when you consider we go through more glasses and silverwear. So, one day’s use worth of dishes for a family of four pretty much entirely fills up the dishwasher. Problem is, you don’t really want it that full.

At it’s fullest, the dishes don’t get entirely clean. I’ve been raised to know you should at least rinse the dishes off of major food and stuff before putting it in the dishwasher, but there are times my kids forget, and so I pull out silverwear all the time with crusted up peanut ...

• butter and such still on it. When I got to wipe the knife with a rag, it comes off easily, so I’m at a bit of a loss as to why the dishwasher didn’t remove it. We end up having to wash some things twice, but usually only when the dishwasher is completely full.

Also, at it’s fullest, nothing but the items on the lower rack gets dry. The cups up top are full of water spots after a wash and dry cycle and we end up having to dry them all by hand, which almost defeats the purpose of having a dishwasher to begin with. My kids, being quite lazy these days, just leave them in there and re-wash it hoping it will get dry the second time, but that’s wasteful and I don’t agree with doing this.

So, I’ve realized that the solution to this problem is to have a minimal number of items in the dishwasher during any given wash cycle. No matter how few dishes are in there, at the end of the day, I start the diswasher regardless. When we

keep it to a minimum and don’t put huge pots or pans or containers in the bottom shelf, then it works much more efficiently than it otherwise would have.

Having kept this in mind, we haven’t since had any problems with our dishwasher. Four years old, only cost, from what I was told, about $150, and it’s be a gem once we got through the kinks and figured out the best way to work with it. We love our Maytag dishwasher! No plans on getting a new one any time soon. Granted, we might eventually consider getting a dishwasher that is a little more energy conservative, and water conservative, for now, this certainly suits are needs. When we have company over, we resort to paper plates to prevent a dish pile-up in our sink and/or dishwasher, but as long as we keep the dishes to a minimum inside the unit, then it works exactly as it should. And I also like that there’s a cool down cycle on it as well, so when my kids go to empty it afterwards, they don’t burn their hands on super hot glasses! That is probably my favorite feature of this product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532709849520530/k2311a0927/9.27.09