Horlicks Malted Milk Drink  » Food  »
  • I like to make my Horlicks taste a little less bland by stirring in half a teaspoon of honey which just gives it what I think it needs
  • I definitely sleep better when I do this, definitely more relaxed
  • I do recommend that you give Horlicks a try, particularly if you are used to hot drinks at night containing caffeine

• by jeanne71

Horlicks malted milk drink is a nutritious bedtime drink which is promoted as an aid to a restful night’s sleep. When it was first produced back in 1873, it was intended to be used as a substitute for mother’s milk for babies, but with scientific advances it was discovered that would not provide a baby with all the nutrients he/she needs, and it is difficult for a baby under 1 year old to digest. Therefore, it quickly gained popularity as a health drink that tasted good too.

It is packed with vitamins, with one serving providing about a quarter of the daily recommended amounts of the major vitamins, and 100% of the RDA of vitamin B12. It is also very high in calcium (good for bones and teeth). Each serving contains (if using semi-skimmed milk) 181 calories.

To make

Horlicks, you put 3-4 teaspoons of the powder into a mug, mix it with a tiny bit of water to form a paste and get the lumps out, and then pour on hot milk and give it a good stir. You can also fill up the mug with cold milk and heat it in the microwave, although I would advise you to give it a stir every 30 seconds or so or else it may boil over which is disastrous.

I do like the malty taste of Horlicks but it can be a little bland. Based on taste alone, I would prefer to drink a hot chocolate personally. That said, Horlicks is the much more beneficial option as not only is it full of nutrients but, unlike hot chocolate, it contains no caffeine of course. I like to make my ...

• Horlicks taste a little less bland by stirring in half a teaspoon of honey which just gives it what I think it needs. I do really enjoy it.

Does it actually make me sleep any better? I do like drinking coffee and I am guilty of this even late at night, so obviously if I am substituting my coffee for a mug of Horlicks then I have less caffeine rushing round my system by the time I go to bed. I definitely sleep better when I do this, definitely more relaxed. I personally have to have some kind of hot drink before I go to bed so for me, Horlicks is the perfect choice. As this drink is essentially a food, it will help you to sleep as you should not be disturbed in the night by hunger pangs.

And there is supposed to be an amino acid in milk that sends you off to sleep. I imagine this warm and comforting drink would probably get anyone in the mood to drift off to dreamland.

Horlicks is not expensive and it retails here in the UK at about £2.00 for a 300g jar. It is suitable for pregnant women and diabetics within a balanced diet. It is suitable for vegetarians as the whey in the ingredients is not made from animal rennet. As I said before, it is not suitable for babies under 1 year.

I do recommend that you give Horlicks a try, particularly if you are used to hot drinks at night containing caffeine. Not only will it help you to sleep well, but your daily vitamin intake will surely take a boost!

Usha Iyer says :

My 3 and half year old daughter prefers to eat Horlicks rather than drink. Is it advisable to eat Horlicks and will it give the nourishment as compared to a drink.

Dhanya says :

there is no problem associated with eating horlicks. But if you give it in milk, the child will drink the milk also. Kids do not like the natural flavor of milk.

Galega says :

GSK never says that Horlicks can ALSO be directly eaten by a kid (without mixing it with any liquid). Though, it also doesn’t forbids direct eating.

Eating Horlicks directly sporadically may not create any problem. In fact, we also used to do the same during our childhood. However, eating it regularly may not be healthy. It can stick on the wall of stomach/intestine. It may not get absorbed completely. Or worse, it can create some more problems for you.

It is better to avoid direct eating.

GSK would have also advised eating horlicks directly for kids if it had not created any problems. After all, kids love eating horlicks directly.

kiran says :

Is horlicks good in summers……

Galega says :

Yes, Horlicks is good in summers. Ensure that you don’t allow your kids to eat it directly. Always mix it with milk or warm water.

Mayank says :

Is it safe to drink horlicks with COLD water? Does it provide any nutrients? Is horlicks Coldwater is good for health?

Galega says :

It is recommended to take horlicks with warm water. It helps in proper mixing. If you are not comfortable in taking it with warm water, you can mix it with cold water. No issue with that.

Horlicks contain lots of nutrients in recommended dose that we need daily.

Rigzen Choden says :

Is it safe to drink horlicks with Milk or water?

Galega says :

It is safe to take it with both milk and water. If you are having any issues with milk, like lactose intolerance, take it with little bit warm water. Otherwise, milk is better option.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272709849450530/k2311a0927/9.27.09