Sony Xplod Boombox Stereo  » Electronics  »
2.5
  • I paid 110 dollars for mine, which was a good bit of money but I was hoping the sound quality would be worth it
  • I found that the system itself was extremely heavy and bulky
  • And finally, if you want sound quality, this is definitely not the one you want to buy

• by Jpesh

When I saw the Sony Xplod boombox at Best Buy, I really liked the fact that it had a subwoofer in it. This makes it easier for the sytem to produce lower notes without having to strain or even blow out the speakers. I paid 110 dollars for mine, which was a good bit of money but I was hoping the sound quality would be worth it.

Well, first off the sound quality is good, not great, just good (especially

for having two speakers and a subwoofer). The sound at lower volumes with the subwoofer on is great, it has good highs, great mids, and thumping lows.

However, as soon as you push it past 7 out of 10 on the volume, the subwoofer sounds like crap. This is my first grievance of quite a few, the next one may or may not apply depending on your use of it.

I found that the system itself was extremely heavy and ...

• bulky. It probably weights a solid 20 pounds and the plastic handle seems to strain every time I pick it up.

Then, I realized that weight was without batteries, of which it required 8 D batteries. This made the weight almost unbearable to lug across my lawn so I could use it outside.

The batteries do actually last a relatively long time, since I can usually make it a summer or two until they need replaced, which costs around 15-20

bucks for all those huge batteries. I feel like the sound is only adequate for both how much I paid and what this brick feels like to lug around.

I suppose that if cheapness is what you want, this is not it, and also if you want portability this is not it. And finally, if you want sound quality, this is definitely not the one you want to buy.

I give it a 5 for its effort at making a high quality stereo.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 162509848760930/k2311a0925/9.25.09