Dex 4 Alternative Glucose Tablets From Target In Sour Apple Flavor  » Medicine  »
  • I learned all about the new thoughts on nutrition, diabetes meters, how to monitor and what to do when my blood sugars shot too high and too low
  • So, after seeing some samples at the Diabetic Education classes I went for a hunt for the best tasting, easiest to take glucose tablets

• by Michigan_Mother

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance about eight years ago. At the time I was also diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. In fact, it was the insulin resistance that finally sealed the deal on my PCOS diagnosis. So, for years I followed the nutritionists advice, kept my weight down as much as I could with my health limitations, and did moderate exercise. Then all of the sudden, I was losing weight without any additional changes to watching my diet, or more intensive exercise. The pounds were just peeling off. I was thrilled and couldn’t wait to tell my doctors what great results I

was having. That’s why I was so surprised when both my primary care physician and my endocrinologist found that I had become a Type 2 diabetic despite having bouts of low blood sugar or hypoglycemia.

I went to the Diabetes Education Courses at my doctor’s office. It was a four week series, of three hour seminars to help me help myself manage my diabetes. I learned all about the new thoughts on nutrition, diabetes meters, how to monitor and what to do when my blood sugars shot too high and too low. Apparently it is rare for a Type 2 Diabetic to get hypoglycemia or low blood sugar, but my other autoimmune conditions factor in. So, I was told that since I seemed to be having more trouble with low levels of blood glucose that I should always keep glucose tablets in my purse, backpack, vehicle and spaced in rooms around the house.

If you don’t know what glucose tablets do, they basically elevate your blood sugar quickly when you are in crisis. If your blood sugars go too low, a person with diabetes can slip into a diabetic coma, and even die. So, after seeing some samples at the Diabetic Education classes I went for a hunt for the best tasting,

• Dex 4 Alternative Glucose Tablets From Target In Sour Apple Flavor
      easiest to take glucose tablets. If you aren’t familiar with them let me just say that they are huge – the size of a quarter or larger in most cases. Each one is only 4 grams of carbs, so you have to take at least 4 and often 8 in order to get your blood sugars up. That’s why having ones that taste decent and are easily absorbed are paramount to the cause.

The Target Brand comes in a plastic tube that looks like a quarter roll. There are a total of 10 glucose tablets in the case. It has an easy flip top and

they can essentially just shoot into your mouth right from the tube. The tablets are a bit chalky like tums, but taste nothing like them. The sour apple flavor I have chosen came after many taste tests. It reminds me of the flavor of Jolly Rancher Sour Apple with a it of lime koolaid mixed in. Not something you want to eat daily, but something that is palatable in an emergency. Fortunately I haven’t had to use them, but when I tested the Dex 4 alternative glucose tablets they dissolved quickly, tasted okay, and did bring my glucose levels up. So, they are a winner!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262509848520930/k2311a0925/9.25.09