Generic Acid Reducer 10MG (30s) at Rexall Pharmacy  » Medicine  »
  • Unfortunately, I am watching and always surveying this part of the pharmacy isle like a hawk
  • My one-time experience, though, showed this curious finding
  • I noticed that taking a 10MG acid reducer had an equal effect to taking a 150MG Zantac capsule
  • Meanwhile, I would still recommend Rexall’s generic version of Zantac to anybody, because it’s cheaper, less potent and it works

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

At the onset, I would have to say I just hate it when a reputable pharmacy like Rexall tries to pull your leg, thinking that you could be fooled easily. Unfortunately, I am watching and always surveying this part of the pharmacy isle like a hawk!

Take a good look at this hocus-pocus. Had I not been an acid reflux sufferer, however, this sleight of hand would have escaped my radar totally.

Here’s the scoop: Rexall is selling a generic acid reducer at 10MG in a pack of 30 caplets for Canadian $8. Shop and compare with Zantac 150MG (50s) for $19. Did you catch it?

The pharmacy’s generic brand is trying to sell itself as a cheaper

alternative to the mighty Zantac, for less than half the price. But the difference is each Zantac capsule is 150MG, while Rexall’s version is only 10MG per capsule. Besides, the drugstore’s version is only 30 capsules to the pack, as opposed to Zantac’s 50. And so we have a bad case of not comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

I didn’t like it, although I must admit I was fooled once by this ploy. But like the song goes, you fool me once, shame on you, you fool me twice, shame on me. Luckily I caught on with it in time.

My one-time experience, though, showed this curious finding. I noticed that taking a 10MG acid ...

• reducer had an equal effect to taking a 150MG Zantac capsule. I don’t know why, but maybe it’s just the placebo effect at work here.

Let me explain: Since my mind was already conditioned that Zantac works, taking a generic version at a tremendously reduced potency did not make any difference in terms of results.

So I have to say, although I am quite ashamed to admit it, that Rexall wins despite the initial chicanery. The cheaper, less potent, generic version of Zantac works like a charm.

Meanwhile, other drugstores like London Drugs or Shoppers Drug Mart are also offering their own generic brands. Even a supermarket like Safeway is doing the same thing, too.

I remember also trying Shoppers Drug

Mart’s generic Zantac at one time, and then again, it didn’t have any perceivable difference in terms of overall effect.

Once again, these findings are all based on my personal experience, so I wouldn’t jump to conclusions if I were you. Like a good friend always told me, there are always many factors to anything, so I’ll just leave it at that for now.

Meanwhile, I would still recommend Rexall’s generic version of Zantac to anybody, because it’s cheaper, less potent and it works. So how about you try it out for yourself? And don’t forget to write about your own experience like I did, okay?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262309846070930/k2311a0923/9.23.09