Zantac 150MG Tablet (50s)  » Medicine  »
  • Thus you can see that it does not take away the whole problem, although I am glad already
  • I like the fact that this medication needs to be chewed
  • I have to be careful, though, since I know that one of the side effects of Zantac over medication is constipation
  • Of course, I would recommend Zantac’s 150 formulation to anybody

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

Zantac 150MG tablets really work for me. It does reduce my acid reflux syndrome by about 80%. Thus you can see that it does not take away the whole problem, although I am glad already. The only other drug that I have tried that comes close to this effect is Gaviscon, which is of course cheaper.

Hence, this is my issue with Zantac. It is quite expensive. A pack of 50 tablets, for example, is Canadian $18 plus tax at Rexall Pharmacy. While it is fast and efficient in terms of treatment, I do believe that this is still too high a price to pay to alleviate the hyper acidity situation.

It came to a point that I could no longer afford it, so I switched to Gaviscon, which tastes so nice by the way.

I like the fact that this medication needs to be chewed. Zantac, on the other, is taken with water, and it has no taste, unless you tried to chew it, which should taste rather disgusting as I would imagine.

Zantac’s active ingredient is ranitidine, a medication that reduces the stomach’s production of acids. Acid reflux, after all, is all about acids. As the stomach produces acids, it causes a swelling of gaseous liquids in the digestive system, which I often felt in the mouth.

To date, I had only taken the Zantac 150 formulation as it is stronger. I don’t have a mild case of acid reflux after all, so I don’t think that Zantac 75 would be much of a help to me.

I’m glad that Zantac can be bought over the counter, so no doctor’s ...

• prescription is necessary. Twice a day of this medication often works for me, unless the acid reflux is really spinning out of control, in which case I would have no choice but to up the ante a bit.

I have to be careful, though, since I know that one of the side effects of Zantac over medication is constipation. But luckily, even for that I have a proven solution: pigging out on ice cream!

Because I also have lactose intolerance, eating a lot of ice cream easily induces the opposite of constipation in my digestive system, which is of course, diarrhea.

As you can see, it is a balancing act. I don’t know if the same scheme would work for anybody else. Mind you, I have only tried this procedure on myself. It’s best to consult the

doctor when you have the same problems like I do.

Of course, I would recommend Zantac’s 150 formulation to anybody. It’s a fast and efficient way to manage acid reflux. For the first time in my work life, I was able to work for extended periods without worrying about gas pains too much.

Like Gaviscon, Zantac could silence my stomach, too, something that not all medications out there are able to do. Look, boss, no more loud stomach grumblings! Indeed, my tummy used to make those awful noises that I couldn’t control to the dismay of my office co-workers. I’m just glad somebody invented Zantac, but I wish its retail price would drop a bit, too, like the stock market these days!

B D says :

Rexall ranitidine 150 mg, OTC is $ 4.50 in Pennsylvania. Since one pill gave me an anaphylaxis reaction, that is $ 4.50 too much. Plus the cost of the diphenhydramine hydrochloride, and the doctor visit, that is much more than $ 18 too much. Not cool.

Joanna says :

Hi BD,

I am sorry that you had such a poor reaction. A cousin of mine had a similar one to prevacid. He now takes mostly tum and nexxium when his acid reflux is really bad. Perhaps one of those would be a good substitute? Either way I would definitely consult a doctor about your reaction and seek advice as to what a viable alternative might be.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joanna

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262309846040930/k2311a0923/9.23.09