Sacramento, CA Dairy Queen  » Restaurants  »
3341 Arden Way, Sacramento, CA
  • They had good food at good prices, and they were convenient
  • One of the reasons for this in my mind is that I don't think of Dairy Queen as a fast food chain, even if technically that's what they are
  • This time, though, I decided to try their Classic Club combo
  • I thought the food helping and beverage size were satisfactory
  • I will go back, but how frequent will probably depend on if I can get into the drive through without a problem

• by Orrymain

Growing up, Dairy Queen was a mainstay for my family. They had good food at good prices, and they were convenient. As years have passed, we’ve shrunk down to just one Dairy Queen in a decent proximity to where we’ve lived and worked. There are others, but they are very spread out. It’s a notable difference from other fast food chains that have a location on every other main road.

One of the reasons for this in my mind is that I don’t think of Dairy Queen as a fast food chain, even if technically that’s what they are. However, it’s taken this company a while to get caught up with their modern era competitors. Several years back, they were too high priced for my budget and not only that, but their food just wasn’t as tasty anymore as other places were. Thus, my visits to this Arden Way location and others more remote to me became limited.

The other day I was in the mood to go back, though. What Dairy Queen still has

an advantage with are their desserts. For a long time, they were the only chain where you could get a real milk shake. Other places like McDonalds, Jack in the Box, and Burger King offered a version of a milk shake that was intolerable to me. Now, they’ve all turned over a new leaf and just in the last one to three years, these places have picked up their dessert offerings, improving their shakes in the process. This is why most of my visits to Dairy Queen in recent years have been for shakes or desserts, versus food.

This time, though, I decided to try their Classic Club combo. I upgraded to a medium size. I thought the food helping and beverage size were satisfactory. The drink was full and given to me without droplets of root beer trickling down the cup. The French fries were light and mostly fluffy, although there were a few sour ones in the mix that were clearly bad on the ends. There was also one curly fry in ...

• the mix. The Classic Club was delightfully warm with good size pieces of ham, turkey, cheese, and bacon. The bread was satisfactory, but one side was harder than the other. However, I was delighted with the meal overall.

I did order a sundae which was wonderful and everything that I remembered it to be. It was good ice cream, a satisfactory portion of the chocolate topping, and it had whip cream and nuts to my specifications. I had special request with that, and they were very accurate in filling the order.

The gal who took my order was very nice. Because I hadn’t been there in a while, I had a lot of questions, and she answered them all with a smile.

The one downside was that this location actually has two leases for their property, one for the building and front parking and the other in the rear. Well, they’ve lost the lease on the rear. The reason this is a factor is that their drive through is now impossible to get into. I

had to go up and then backwards and still just ended up ordering at the window. The gal said there hasn’t been any indication of them doing any remodeling or not. They need to do something though. Right now, this is really inconvenient.

Associated with this, I had to pull up and find a place to wait for my order, which was ultimately delivered to me by the same gal who took my order. They have to do this now because otherwise, cars would be in the street. This is all because of not renewing that second lease. My hunch is that it’s a survival move to stay in business, but they are going to have to figure out a better plan.

I also didn’t get a detailed receipt of my purchase. I only received the printout for my credit card purchase of the food.

Their meals are more competitive, price wise now , too. I will go back, but how frequent will probably depend on if I can get into the drive through without a problem.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72009842800630/k2311a0920/9.20.09