Dreamgirls Movie Soundtrack Composed by Tom Eyen and Henry Krieger (Columbia Records)  » Music  »
  • I like listening to songs with a rich history, like this one

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

This album contains one of the most difficult songs to sing. “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going”, was originally sung by Jennifer Halliday in the Broadway hit Dreamgirls (1982). She won the Tony Award for her performance and since then the song was headed to the entertainment history books.

The song is a heart-rending expression of a woman gone berserk by unrequited love. It is sung by a girl in the Dreamgirls lore who thought she was the center of it all, having brought her two singer friends to a successful musical career.

Effie is later on pushed over for Deena, who they say is supposed to allegorize the life of music diva Diana Ross and her Motown days. She

therefore loses her career and subsequently her lover, who leaves her for the budding singing star which singer Beyonce aptly plays in the Hollywood reincarnation of the Dreamgirls saga.

Although evidently this song has a rich history, most contemporary people can only remember Jennifer Hudson’s version. Jennifer Hudson of course being the American Idol finalist who joined Beyonce in the film, then went on to win an Oscar Best Supporting Actress.

The forgotten Jennifer, Jennifer Halliday has sang the song many times during her career. Aside from the during the play’s Broadway run itself, she also sang it at an HIV Aids fund raising function, among many other memorable occasions.

This song was also one of the reasons why Whitney Houston ...

• backed out from the Dreamgirls movie originally planned by Hollywood. Luckily, Beyonce and company, were available for the Broadway show’s adaptation to a full-blown movie which came out in 2006.

This is my favorite song in the Dreamgirls Album, which serves as a backdrop to the movie itself. I remember watching the movie twice on the big screen when I used to live in Calgary in 2007.

My best friend, a girl named Petal, didn’t like it as much. She went for stuff that is more modern or even hip-hop. But for me, this is it!

I like listening to songs with a rich history, like this one. As for the rest of the songs in the Dreamgirls album,

I have to say it’s a good selection. Other noteworthy songs are Beyonce’s Listen, which gets quite emotional, too. And of course, I like One Night Only, an original Diana Ross single that is so rousing.

This song is sang by both Beyonce and Hudson in the movie, but I have to say I like the latter version. Diana Ross’ original rendition still has the power to draw crowds, though.

Overall, I have to say that the album is so well done, with its centerpiece of course being the I’m Not Going song. I keep playing this album though whenever I want to, and will never get tired of it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141909842001030/k2311a0919/9.19.09