Sunbeam king size heating pad
2.0
  • So, at a local pharmacy/ drug store I found the Sunbeam king size heating pad for a reasonable $15
  • I think it was on sale, but I'm not entirely sure
  • Also, after a few weeks, I noticed an electrical burning smell in the middle of the night while using it and sat up to find the cord burning

• by Anasuya

I started working, after seven years of being a stay-home mother, early last september, and I’ve been with my job a year now. It’s much more lifting and repetative movements than I’ve been used to, and I started complaining of shoulder and lower back pain. When I finally conceeded (after my husband asked me to stop complaining and do something about it) that I needed to see a doctor, I come to find out that I had a pinched nerve in my lower back and had managed to acquire a case of painful tendonitis in my shoulder, and this was only six months after I started my job. I’ve been taking pain and anti-inflammatory medications since then, but my doctor says I really need physical therapy at this point, which I can’t really afford so that hasn’t been an option for me yet. The anti-inflammatory pills work on my lower back, but because I’m still constantly doing repetative lifting at work, my shoulder is still very messed up and sore all the time.

I’ve tried Icy Hot products in the past, because we hadn’t owned a real heating pad in years, and those

worked temporarily, but the smell is strong and I find that I have to reapply every hour, which is just not real practical, especially when I’m in bed at night and my husband is asleep. I’m not going to wake him up to ask him to apply more Icy Hot cream to my shoulder in the middle of the night. I’ve tried those heating pads that you use in the microwave, but they just don’t get hot enough or retain the heat long enough to even get me comfortable enough to go to sleep, so I had given up on those and decided I just need to break down and go buy myself a traditional heating pad. We had them all the time when I was growing up and I always remember them working well, especially when menstrual cramps hit me when I was twelve years old.

So, at a local pharmacy/ drug store I found the Sunbeam king size heating pad for a reasonable $15. I think it was on sale, but I’m not entirely sure. But the price was right regardless so I snagged it up. It has three settings, and ...

• has a light up control panel so I can see it in the middle of the night. It comes with a cover for the pad that buttons, so it’s removable if you need to wash it, but the cover doesn’t seem big enough for the pad and seems to slip and slide all over the place, though I’ve never had it completely unbutton on me or anything. I think when it got hot the first time, the cover actually shrank a little, because now the pad seems squished inside the cover and wont hold a nice flat shape on it’s own. It’s fine if I’m using it on my back and laying down on it or leaning against it in a chair, but it’s a bit annoying when I’m using it for cramps on my abdomen. It has three settings, high medium and low. I immediately cranked it to high the first time, and it got hot fairly quickly. But it seemed to intensify in heat in waves that were unpredictable at best. You think it’s reached it’s hottest point, then suddenly it’s almost burning your skin, but if you wait a minute
        or two, it seems to lessen in intensity. The first time it got really hot like that, I put the heat down to medium, and that almost wasn’t hot enough. I haven’t even bothered with the low setting yet, which seems pointless to me.

However, I have to say that the first night I used it, I was actually able to fall asleep because I could feel the tension and accompanying pain fade away as the pad got hotter. But, when I used it for cramps one night, it actually burned the delicate skin of abdomen, which was read and sore for the rest of the day. It wasn’t severe, but still uncomfortable. That’s my own fault, I suppose, for using it when sleeping, which is not recommended.

Also, after a few weeks, I noticed an electrical burning smell in the middle of the night while using it and sat up to find the cord burning! Not a fire burning, but still smoking. I immeidately turned it off, disengaged the breaker and unplugged it. It went to the trash after that for obvious reasons. Gives good heat, but still has kinks to work out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 341809840970830/k2311a0918/9.18.09