Actifed Cold and Allergy Tablets  » Medicine  »
1.0
  • I found it in a nearby drug store and liked the fact that it was said to treat cold AND allergies and not just one or the other
  • Maybe the mood swings were a result of feeling disappointed and run down because the product wasn't working

• by Anasuya

I moved to this state several years ago, and because it was such a climatic difference from my previous residence (I went from deep south to north), I immediately became run over by allergies, something I had pretty much never previously experienced. I didn’t even know I’d ever have any allergic reactions to anything until I moved here, spent fifteen minutes outside of the car and immediately started experiencing sneezing attacks. I sneeze at least thirty times each time an attack comes over me, and these are just downright exhausting, not to mention the congestion, drainage and aches and pains that hitch a ride along with the sneezing. I was miserable the first three months I lived here, and since I didn’t have medical insurance, I was trying every over-the-counter relief I could possibly find.

Actifed is one of those brands I’ve just never tried.

My mother raised us on nyquil and tylenol, motrin and vicks, but we’ve never had an Actifed product in our house at all. I found it in a nearby drug store and liked the fact that it was said to treat cold AND allergies and not just one or the other. I should have known that the two promises of relief all wrapped up in one pill was too good to be true.

But, the box said it would treat nasal congestion, itchy/water eyes/ sneezying and runny nose… all the things I was continuously experiencing when my allergies hit me in the late summer months and lasted clear through to winter. So, I was miserable for four long months every single year, and was spending a lot of money trying to find some long-lasting relief. This was before Claritin was available without a prescription. I ...

• had high hopes that Actifed would do the job it claimed to do. Needless to say, it didn’t.

I have to say, it really didn’t work at all. I was experiencing every single symptom it was said to treat, and feeling it just as severely as before. I’ve read that the manufacturers have apparently changed up the formula, and this new formula isn’t nearly as effective, but this was years ago when I took Actifed, when it WAS the old formula, and I still didn’t find it effective at all. It’s expensive, you don’t get a lot of tablets for the money, and I would have had to quadruple dose myself to probably see any relief at all. I actually think this made me a little jumpy and irritable. My husband said he remembers the severe mood swings I had during the week or two

I gave to this product, hoping it would eventually work and my allergies were just more severe than they usually were. Maybe the mood swings were a result of feeling disappointed and run down because the product wasn’t working. I don’t know. I just know it didn’t work. Though OTC medications usually don’t work great on me, i typically feel at least SOME relief, but with this product, there wasn’t anything at all that will have me suggesting it to anyone else. I’ve actually talked to a couple co-workers that feel the same way about Actifed and they’ve recommended several other OTC medications for me to try if I’m not willing to pay for prescription drugs. But, like I said, that was years ago, and I’m fully insured now and can get myself something more effective and save myself some money in the process. You should do the same.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261809840930830/k2311a0918/9.18.09