Mass Transit System in Toronto, Canada  » Travel  »
  • I would recommend the Canadian city of Toronto’s transit system to all my friends as it is practical, safe and efficient
  • Thus, rather than be a danger to society, I prefer to keep my hands off the wheel
  • This way, you both save money by sharing the transit cost
  • There are definitely a lot of aging fleet in Toronto’s mass transit system, but one thing I noticed is that even very old buses were so well maintained

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I would recommend the Canadian city of Toronto’s transit system to all my friends as it is practical, safe and efficient. It is run by the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), which is subsidized by the provincial government of Ontario.

When I lived in metro Toronto from 1996 to 2006, it was my transportation of choice. This is because I didn’t have any driver’s license and don’t plan on getting one in the near future. I have to admit, I make a very bad driver because I’m one of those rare individuals who tend to forget that they are behind the wheel.

Thus, rather than be a danger to society, I prefer to keep my hands off the wheel. The only time

I ever drove was in the city of Manila in the Philippines. Once I settled here in Canada, the mass transit was the one for me.

The subway part of the Toronto transit system runs from the suburb of Scarborough in the east, all the way to Kipling in the west. It’s a wide train that goes out on land, although most of the time it is under the city.

My favorite station is Castlefrank as it connects two hills and the view is just spectacular from top to bottom. In the fall or autumn, it is one of the most beautiful sights in Toronto, as there are trees and plants of brown, red and yellow shades on the hills and on ...

• land.

Thus, most commuting parents are quick to advise their toddlers when Castlefrank is near. There is no doubt that Toronto’s aging transportation system has helped the economy grow.

For people like me who relied on transit all the time, it sure was a big help to be able to get to and from work by bus or the subway. Although the transit fare was always going up, there was always a monthly pass that could be had and transferable, too!

Such feature becomes really useful when you happen to have a roommate who has the opposite work schedule from yourself. This way, you both save money by sharing the transit cost.

Whenever I had more time to spare, I would prefer to ride

Toronto’s ubiquitous, red streetcars, which to me looked more like tourist carriages. They no doubt defined the Toronto landscape.

There are definitely a lot of aging fleet in Toronto’s mass transit system, but one thing I noticed is that even very old buses were so well maintained. The TTC even uses organic fuel as much as it could, and you could tell it from the smell of the fumes.

Another blessing for an avid commuter like me was Toronto’s 24-hour Eglinton bus service, which had saved me a lot during those graveyard shifts I used to take. I was just so glad that transit was there for me all the time!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381709839101030/k2311a0917/9.17.09