Greyhound Bus Service in Western Canada  » Travel  »
  • I often looked forward to the experience as it was always so efficient
  • This is what I like about taking the bus as opposed to taking the plane

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

Greyhound is my travel bus of choice whenever I travel around Western Canada. Hence, on many occasions, I have taken the Greyhound bus to the Canadian cities of Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, and Saskatoon.

I often looked forward to the experience as it was always so efficient. Nobody bothers me and I can retreat in my own private space in the bus. I also find the price of the bus fare reasonable most of the time.

Of course, I wish I could plan my trips better, to take advantage of the special rider discounts that become available from the Greyhound Service every now and then. The last Greyhound trip I took was from Saskatoon to

Vancouver. It was a 24-hour trip with lots of stopovers, such as in Edmonton.

I just love looking out the window and enjoying the view. This is what I like about taking the bus as opposed to taking the plane. It takes time because it’s cheaper. It’s just a little over Canadian $200.

But for someone like me who just hates taking the plane, saving money and taking in all the wonderful scenery is worth every penny. Of course in winter there is not much to see, as when I took off from Edmonton to Saskatoon.

Saskatoon is a far-flung city in the prairies, and being flat the sights were nearly all covered ...

• in snow. In times like these, I spend the time sleeping inside the Greyhound bus.

Greyhound bus drivers are courteous. They seem to be happy doing their job, and they are very helpful too, especially with directions. I like it when they check everything, especially the tickets when you board.

What I don’t like is the long lineups on peak travel seasons. Sometimes, it just feels like everything is taking forever. Luckily, there is always something to buy or eat at the Greyhound station. And since, sometimes it is just a stone’s throw away from the mall or the brick and mortar shows like in Edmonton, it’s easy to while

away the time with window shopping.

I hear that Greyhound is cutting down on some routes with low ridership, such as the ones in Winnipeg. This is sad, but I guess it can’t be helped. This means that more people will be taking the plane. But for me, I’d rather take the bus whenever I could if only for the breathtaking views especially in Western Canada.

The Canadian Rockies are just to die for, and I wouldn’t exchange the views for anything else in the world. So I can only hope that more people will patronize the Greyhound service.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381709839091030/k2311a0917/9.17.09