Burnaby Lake in British Columbia, Canada  » Travel  »
Sprott Street and Sperling Avenue, Burnaby, British Columbia
  • One thing I noticed though when I went there in the summer of 2008 was that there were just too many Canada geese
  • Maybe these geese consider the lake their territory, which makes them more territorial in composure

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

This is one of many natural parks in British Columbia, which is unspoiled by man. Ironically, this site was littered with sawmills at one time!

Burnaby is home to a nature house, a viewing tower, picnic sites, and walking and hiking trails, which are approximately an 11-kilometer walk. In summer though, when the water level goes down in the lake, it looks more like a swamp than a lake.

Burnaby Lake is accessible from the Vancouver Sky Train station. You can take the Millennium line and get off at the Sperling-Burnaby Lake station. From there, you can walk on foot to the lake.

The lake is a birdwatcher’s

paradise, playing host to blue herons, bald eagles, belted kingfishers, osprey and other rare bird species. One thing I noticed though when I went there in the summer of 2008 was that there were just too many Canada geese.

I also noticed that the Canada geese in this lake are even more aggressive, sometimes even chasing park visitors or running after their food. Maybe these geese consider the lake their territory, which makes them more territorial in composure.

There are also many flies and mosquitoes in this lake, so be sure to have adequate protection when you come here. A personal favorite of mine is the spot in the ...

• observation deck, which contains a diagram of how a conservation area like this lake contributes to the city’s healthy ecology.

In simplest terms, birds are attracted to this place because of the diversity of frogs, mosquitoes and other insects. As a result, these birds tend to drop by the city more often, than if there was no lake at all.

It can be really warm here in summer and it’s so easy to get a mosquito bite, or for one’s skin to be itchy from the existence of way too many insects.

If you’re interested, you can take a course in canoing, kayaking or rowing right at the lake.

As for myself, I am just happy watching the beavers, ducks, frogs and turtles feeding in the marsh. It’s funny when I remember how I got here with a friend for the first time. We just happened to take the wrong turn from the Ikea store, and ended up in the lake soon without any planning. It took my friend and me a good one hour before we managed to correct our mistaken sense of direction. However, had we not gotten lost, we would not have discovered Burnaby Lake in the first place.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381709839071030/k2311a0917/9.17.09