Chinatown in Toronto, Canada  » Travel  »
222 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, Ontario
  • The dishes here are very tasty, and the best in Chinatown, I believe

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

Toronto’s Chinatown is one of the cleanest Chinatowns I have ever seen. When I lived in Toronto for ten years, I always looked forward to visiting this Chinatown for all the cheap eats, fruits, and vegetables that it offers.

One thing for sure, once you hit Spadina Street in downtown Toronto, you are in historic Chinatown. This street is wide, and as you savor the sights, sounds and smells of the market scene, you can see the pointy CN Tower in the skyline.

Toronto

Chinatown is one of the busiest places in the city. Day or night, there are merchants everywhere hawking their wares. As you head closer to the University of Toronto area, however, you begin to smell the strong scent of fragrant shampoo in the morning.

No doubt, this smell is coming from female students walking to school, a smell that mingles with the scent of fresh produce crowded along the streets. My personal favorite is the Kom Jug Yuen Restaurant where my brothers and sisters ...

• often take me for lunch or dinner.

On many occasions, though, I would drop by the restaurant to buy some take home dishes like fried squid, noodles, or fried duck. The dishes here are very tasty, and the best in Chinatown, I believe. And dirt-cheap, too!

Not far from this location is Dragon Center, which is a Chinese mall, replete with bargains, and the best tasting fried fish balls and Tapioca drink. This is also the best place to buy souvenir Toronto shirts

and other paraphernalia.

Whenever I wasn’t in a hurry to get home, I would love to take the ubiquitous, red streetcar. But when I was, I could catch the Toronto subway at the Spadina station. How I envied people who lived in those condos and apartment buildings at the heart of Chinatown. For these people, all the cheap goods and sumptuous Chinese dishes are just a few flights of stairs down!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381709839011030/k2311a0917/9.17.09