Chinatown in Vancouver, Canada  » Travel  »
508 Taylor Street , Vancouver, British Columbia
  • I love going to this place for the cheap buys, especially seafoods, poultry, beef, fruits, and vegetables
  • One time, I bought a huge, live lobster for $100
  • I was already at home when I found out that one of the lobster’s big claws were missing, and to think that I paid dearly for it
  • However, I am careful to avoid the Hastings Street area, which can be dangerous at any time of day

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

Vancouver’s historic Chinatown begins at Main Street and Keefer Street. This is simply the biggest Chinatown in North America, second only to San Francisco’s. I love going to this place for the cheap buys, especially seafoods, poultry, beef, fruits, and vegetables.

My best friend, however, likes to come here to buy pots, pans, cups, saucers, and dinner plates made in China. Ken’s Kitchen is a famous restaurant with many loyal customers like myself who appreciate the cheap combos and the free, piping hot tea being served daily.

Just a stone’s throw away is the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden, which is

so serene as it is just beautiful. Mandarin as well as Cantonese native speakers live in Vancouver’s Chinatown, making the Chinese the largest minority ethnic group in the city. Such dominance harks back to the bygone railway days when Chinese migrants were recruited straight from the mainland for the service.

I would advise you to be careful when you buy stuff in Chinatown. Always inspect that everything you paid for is in place. One time, I bought a huge, live lobster for $100. I was already at home when I found out that one of the lobster’s big claws ...

• were missing, and to think that I paid dearly for it.

Also double check cups and saucers you buy just in case there are some hidden chip somewhere. If you’re looking for cheap hotels or apartments, Chinatown is also the place to go. Just walk around the area and you’re likely to find a posting for a room for rent somewhere.

Mind you, these are cheap, yet run down apartment buildings or hotels, which will do if you’re not too picky at all. If you want more upscale Chinese restaurants and shops, you should proceed to the Plaza of Nations area.

This also where you’ll find the historic Chinatown arc and some old buildings which have been here from the beginning and hence the subject of an intensive restoration effort.

I love Chinatown for all the cheap goods, and likewise for the glimpse into Vancouver history that it gives me. However, I am careful to avoid the Hastings Street area, which can be dangerous at any time of day. The United Nations has dubbed this spot the blight of Vancouver, and has been clamoring for its transformation before the 2010 Olympics.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381709839001030/k2311a0917/9.17.09