Explosions in the sky
  • I began listening to this amazing band quite some time ago (even though they haven't been around for all that long) and I must say, as sadly often is the case with other bands, the sound of their music has NOT faded the tiniest bit
  • Black Emperor and Mogwai), a genre which these four guys from Texas (Mark Smith - Guitar, Munaf Rayani - Guitar, Michael James - Bass, Christopher Hrasky - Drums) in my opinion have revolutionized the last few years
  • However, I consider it an impossibility to beat any of the earlier ones, beginning with the killer How strange, innocence (from 2000, although it was just recently released on a wider distribution) going on with even better Those who tell the truth shall die, those who tell the truth shall live forever (2001) and my personal favorite The earth is not a cold dead place (2003)

• by limonar
      I began listening to this amazing band quite some time ago (even though they haven’t been around for all that long) and I must say, as sadly often is the case with other bands, the sound of their music has NOT faded the tiniest bit. I can listen to their albums over and over, and honestly, the songs actually grow each time you hear them.

Undeniably connected to the extravagant musical genre of “post-rock” (probably influenced by such great bands as Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai), a genre which these four guys from Texas (Mark

Smith - Guitar, Munaf Rayani - Guitar, Michael James - Bass, Christopher Hrasky - Drums) in my opinion have revolutionized the last few years.

The electrifying but yet very emotional and loving guitar sounds; the rough, vibrant and most vital drumming that tends to feel like your own pulse beating, fast or slow, touching every emotion there is; the mystical and heartbreaking tunes from the bass; it all floats together into one marvellous symphony, an opera of the grandest scale.

These guys express ALL their feelings and thoughts within their music in a way that makes ...

• most other bands sound like nothing more than background noise in a desolated world.

As of yet I haven’t had the pleasure of hearing their latest album, called “The Rescue”.

However, I consider it an impossibility to beat any of the earlier ones, beginning with the killer “How strange, innocence” (from 2000, although it was just recently released on a wider distribution) going on with even better “Those who tell the truth shall die, those who tell the truth shall live forever” (2001) and my personal favorite “The earth is not a cold dead place” (2003).

/> I try with all the power that I can muster to restrain the exspectations on the new album, but it just isn’t possible.

If it does surpass my exspectations however, these guys should have streets named after them, at least.

And even if it doesn’t, they still deserve at last a monument.

Supposedly, all fans of the post-rock genre know about this band, they’re nothing obscure in that world, some pretentious post-rock people even consider them to be overrated of course.

But take my word for it, if you never heard the name before - give explosions in the sky a fair chance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 149108390231/k2311a109/10.9.05