WILD: “Bug Attack” on Animal Planet
  • I think that the show is not for the faint of heart or for the average viewers
  • It was almost too much for me, and I am a frequent viewer of horror movies and shock documentaries like Monsters Inside Me (which I reviewed elsewhere) I enjoyed this documentary, but I don’t know if the average person would be able to stomach it

• by Opalina143

Wild is a show on Animal Planet. It is similar to more well-known shows such as The Crocodile Hunter Diaries and Jeff Corwin’s Animal Encounters, in that a host travels to faraway countries in search of rare and unusual wildlife to film.

In this episode, entitled “Bug Attack” the host examines some of the most destructive, dangerous, and disgusting insects on the planet. In a vein similar to the hit Animal Planet show “Monsters Inside Me” he describes the activities of insects that pose a threat to humans and other animal species.

The

episode of Bug Attack was very entertaining and intense. The host goes all out to bring the viewer images of the creatures he describes. He travels to the Amazon to film a rare giant centipede, a truly stunning insect with gigantic jaws which eats birds and rodents. He allows himself to be bitten by harvester ants in the field, discussing how painful their bite is. And, in one of the show’s more disgusting parts, he travels into the tunnels beneath New York City to film huge numbers of cockroaches ...

• in their natural habitat. The footage of these disgusting bugs teeming beneath the feet of innocent city-dwellers is intense and deeply disturbing. It turned my stomach, but I still found myself watching.

Even the cockroach colonies were not the most disgusting and stomach-churning part of the show, however. The host travels to India to investigate the Botfly- a fly that lays its eggs on the skin of animals and even humans. The maggots which hatch from these eggs (and the eggs hatch within seconds of contact) burrow into the host’s body and

develop there. The host is shown squeezing boils on a cow and watching as fat, juicy maggots pop out and onto the ground.

It sounds disgusting, it looks even more so. I think that the show is not for the faint of heart or for the average viewers. It was almost too much for me, and I am a frequent viewer of horror movies and shock documentaries like Monsters Inside Me (which I reviewed elsewhere) I enjoyed this documentary, but I don’t know if the average person would be able to stomach it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101709838751030/k2311a0917/9.17.09