iMac Desktop Computer 9.0 OS  » Computers  »
  • I bought this iMac desktop computer second-hand or used from KG Pawn Shop Buy and Sell at 10735 King George Highway in the city of Surrey in the province of British Columbia in Canada
  • I was really planning to buy an old desktop PC from the pawnshop because I know it would be dirt-cheap
  • I thought so, considering that it’s a Mac, connecting to the Net should be rather second nature to it
  • The next day, I called my Internet provider again, and luckily, a senior technical support guy was able to fix the problem
  • I think it’s more art deco, and since it’s a Mac I know that old as it is, it has an amazing CPU inside that no old PC in its class can beat

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I bought this iMac desktop computer second-hand or used from KG Pawn Shop Buy and Sell at 10735 King George Highway in the city of Surrey in the province of British Columbia in Canada. I thought it was a steal for $140.

I was really planning to buy an old desktop PC from the pawnshop because I know it would be dirt-cheap. After all, this and any other item in the pawnshop are being sold because the owner could not pay back the pawn money.

I would have asked that the pawnshop guarantee it in case it didn’t function or broke down easily, but I forgot all about that. It’s the iMac model, which combines the computer monitor and the CPU in one compact design. This white and candy blue iMac just mesmerized me, and I never had an Apple computer before.

The clerk at the pawnshop

did not know much about the iMac either, but he assured me that this iMac could connect to the Internet right away. I thought so, considering that it’s a Mac, connecting to the Net should be rather second nature to it.

I was dead wrong! When I called my high-speed Internet provider, I was told that there was something missing, maybe an Ethernet card, and I was advised to talk to the manufacturer. My initial reaction was to return the machine to the pawnshop, but the thought that I have to spend another $10 for the taxi just didn’t sit right with me.

The next day, I called my Internet provider again, and luckily, a senior technical support guy was able to fix the problem. He just asked me to go to Apple, Control Panel, TCP/IP, Connect Via Ethernet, and Configure Using DHCP Server.

After restarting the ...

• iMac as well as the Internet modem, I was able to go online immediately. With one problem though, which I discovered later. Since this iMac is old, it’s operating system (OS) won’t allow me to log in to any of my online email accounts (Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, etc.).

I Googled for the cure and discovered that I will need to download some updates to my old iMac in order to make the Internet fully functional. I was able to download all the updates but to no avail. I soon realized that I have no choice but to find a way to replace the outdated OS with Mac OS X.

So for the time being, I can go to any site on the Internet with this iMac, but not to access any of my online emails. I still believe that for its price, this machine

is still worth it. Before acquiring this iMac, I only had one computer to work with, which is my overworked Sony VAIO notebook.

At least, I have a backup to use in case my only computer bogged down. Besides, I just love this iMac sitting on my computer table even when not in use. It’s so stylish.

My roommate who does not know anything about computers thinks that it’s a rather girlish design. But I think otherwise! I think it’s more art deco, and since it’s a Mac I know that old as it is, it has an amazing CPU inside that no old PC in its class can beat.

So for now, this iMac’s CPU is a sleeping giant, but knowing myself, I can find a solution to its problem soon enough.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 191609838250230/k2311a0916/9.16.09