True Grit by Deborah Meroff

• by carpediem

True Grit is a story about nine women whom in spite of their unimaginable adversities have emerged a victor because they’ve found God. Early in life, some of the women in the book have endured different forms of abuse; most of them are from Asia while the rest are occidental, who unlike the former has accessed to comfort and abundance. All of them, regardless of their provenance were found and used by God to touch the lives of women who in this modern world still endure inequalities in work, education, rights and other facets

of life.

When I was done reading each chapter, I try to analyze, weigh and assess the experiences of the women in the story. I was amazed how bad situations turned into good ones. Yet, I was disturbed and saddened to read startling statistics about marginalized women which unfortunately increased every year. After every story relevant statistics shows the plight of women across the globe.

Despite of modernization, some cultures, beliefs and traditions remained detrimental to women are still being practiced—amidst the absence of law that would put culprit behind bars. And if there ...

• is a law, it is seldom impose or has a very minimal punishment. I have heard issues about child labour, prostitution, trafficking and domestic violence but True Grit has given me more insight and impact in my life. Beliefs past down from one generation to another, have caused sufferings for the sake of supposedly honor or acceptance to society: female circumcision, female infanticide, honour killing and sadly more are discussed in the book.

The book is composed of only less than 200 pages, yet each page teaches me lessons along with the feeling of

anger and sadness because it still happening till this day, relief and gratitude for I am spare from those tribulations. Deborah Meroff, perhaps, has felt more emotions than I did while gathering those stories and statistics. I commend her for the bravery of bringing those issues out in the open.

I recommend True Grit to everyone, not just to women. While we may not understand or find answer as to why these appalling things have to happen, actions can be done. Start by reading True Grit and informing others: awareness could serve as threshold to the much-awaited change.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171509837320730/k2311a0915/9.15.09