To the Lighthouse novel  » Books  »
0.5
  • I am not used to reading books completely in the minds of all the characters, for one, as I found it extremely tiring and confusing
  • I like books with a plot and with a purpose, and I like books with dialogue
  • The ending was amazing simply because it was the end to such drudgery

• by jollsjlupin

I am reviewing the novel, To the Lighthouse, written by Virginia Woolf. This novel develops the modern characteristic style of writing in that throughout the whole novel, readers are subject to streams of consciousness from the various characters. In this book, readers are in the minds of little boy, James Ramsay, his philosopher father, Mr.

Ramsay, his mother, Mrs. Ramsay, painter Lily, her friend, Mr.

Bankes, daughter Cam Ramsay, and isolator Mr.

Tansley.

The whole entire novel has no plot, but merely seems to shift back and forth between the ramblings of the inner minds of all the characters. One of the big issues they all think of is mortality, especially Mr.

Ramsay. He is paralyzed by his fear of it.

Mrs. Ramsay tries to keep herself occupied with social interactions, so as not to think of death.

The isolation and ...

• distance between human beings is a major theme to this novel. I have to say that I did not like this novel in the least.

I am not used to reading books completely in the minds of all the characters, for one, as I found it extremely tiring and confusing. I never knew who was talking during some moments, because it shifted from perspective to perspective.

I like books with a plot and

with a purpose, and I like books with dialogue. The book had no visible plot, and involved little external dialogue.

While reading this book, I had to take several breaks, because the style was so tiring and exhausting. I had to read this book for a 20th century literature class, and must say that I was relieved to be done with it.

The ending was amazing simply because it was the end to such drudgery.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171509837170730/k2311a0915/9.15.09