The Holland Princess Dinner Cruises  » Travel  »
290 Howard Avenue, Holland, Michigan, USA
  • My Grandma told me that the 2 hour dinner cruise cost only $40 per adult, which is incredibly inexpensive
  • We were called to dinner and found seats downstairs, and enjoyed a delicious but simple meal-the choices were chicken, beef or pork
  • The Holland Princess is a wonderful way to see the lakes around Holland, Michigan, and I highly recommend this for everyone, including children

• by Jessie Bahrey

When visiting my relatives in Holland, Michigan, we ended up on a river boat cruise that was one of the highlights of my entire visit. We drove to a harbour on Lake Macatawa, about 15 minutes from downtown, and my first impression was how picturesque the scene was, with the Victorian-style, 65 foot paddle wheel boat docked on the lake. My Grandma told me that the 2 hour dinner cruise cost only $40 per adult, which is incredibly inexpensive. The white steamboat reminded me of scenes from Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer, and I was very excited. I had not seen the lakes in the area from the

water before.

We boarded the boat, and we were briefed on the procedure. Our ticket included dinner, wine with dinner, non-alcoholic beverages and dessert, and there was a cash bar available as well. The top deck is great for scenic photo-taking, and there are tables set up so that you can enjoy a drink while watching the scenery; dinner and drinks are served on the lower deck. There is a karaoke machine as well and there is a tour guide who tells passengers the stories behind the landmarks that we pass along the way.

We bought a drink and sat on the top deck, enjoying the picturesque lakefront houses,

• mansions really, birds and other boats. I was surprised that we sailed through Lake Macatawa and into a small channel that joins this lake with Lake Michigan. We were called to dinner and found seats downstairs, and enjoyed a delicious but simple meal-the choices were chicken, beef or pork. I ordered the chicken, which was tasty, and served with grilled vegetables and potatoes. The wine was great and the conversation with other tourists and locals was stimulating. After dinner, we returned to the top deck and got to see Big Red, the first lighthouse in Holland Harbour. It was built in 1872, and was painted bright red by
        the Coast Guard in 1956. We could see if from across the lake, and our boat got close enough for some great pictures.

We had dessert while watching the sun set, and the two hour cruise went by far too quickly. The Holland Princess is a wonderful way to see the lakes around Holland, Michigan, and I highly recommend this for everyone, including children.

Times: Public Dinner cruises daily from 6pm-8pm, May-September

Costs: $40 per adult $30 per teenager $20 per child ages 3-12 Under 2 years-free

Private cruises are available but need to be booked in advance; the dinner cruises do have walk-ons but it is best to book ahead to ensure a spot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381509837100730/k2311a0915/9.15.09