Beast Wars - Chain of Command  » TV  »
  • I enjoy this episode immensely for several reasons
  • Another reason that I like this episode is it features an interesting conflict that emerges after Optimus Primal is presumed destroyed after he and Dinobot return to the site of odd stone structures and find an alien probe
  • The ending did not settle overly well with me, but ultimately, I think the probe just released Optimus because it had already gathered the information it needed
  • The ending does not detract too much from the quality of the episode and as I said, I consider this episode to be one of the show's best

• by GenesisOne

Beast Wars - Chain of Command is one of my all time favorite episodes of the series. I enjoy this episode immensely for several reasons. First of all, it is the first episode of the alien story arc.

The alien story arc is one that plays out over the course of the three seasons and is an arc that, while could have been better developed and handled, offers some very enjoyable, memorable and unique episodes. Another reason that I like this episode is it features an interesting conflict that emerges after Optimus Primal is presumed destroyed after he and Dinobot return to the site of odd stone structures and find an alien probe.

The alien probe emits an energy pulse and

Optimus disappears. When Dinobot is returned to the Maximal base, deactivated, the Maximals revive him and he begins to assume the position as the new leader of the Maximals.

Arguments ensure, with some of the Maximals even going as far to theorize that perhaps Dinobot destroyed Optimus and is making all this up. Then it is suggested that they hold a secret vote to see who the group believes is most qualified to lead because that is the way that Maximals handle such matters.

The vote comes out even, which is a real mystery to me, because besides Dinobot, I do not know who else would vote for Dinobot. The dialogue and behavior of the characters seems to suggest that Rattrap ...

• would win, but that is not what happens.

Nonetheless, the entire scene is really well written. What comes next though is probably my favorite part of the episode: the attack on the Maximal base.

Megatron decides to strike with the Maximals mourning the loss of their leader, and what ensures is very exciting and well executed battle scene - particularly between Dinobot and Megatron. The music, the camera angles, it is all perfect.

The battle is intense and really hits hard with the punches and kicks thrown. Definitely one of the series’ best.

I also liked that after the battle, Dinobot, for once, apologized to Rattrap for not adhering to his order for Dinobot to get the base’s shields back up

and instead Dinobot just simply kept on fighting. The ending to the episode did not make a whole lot sense as Rattrap instructed Rhinox to construct a device that could extract Optimus from the probe.

First of all, Rattrap expected Rhinox to invent a device that complicated? Second of all, the technology that absorbed Optimus was a foreign technology, so how could Rhinox possibly build a compatible technology? The ending did not settle overly well with me, but ultimately, I think the probe just released Optimus because it had already gathered the information it needed. The ending does not detract too much from the quality of the episode and as I said, I consider this episode to be one of the show’s best.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101509836650630/k2311a0915/9.15.09