19” Insignia LCD TV/DVD Combo Model NS-LTDVD19-09CA
  • I bought this Insignia flatscreen LCD TV on August 13, 2008 and so far it has not given me any major problems
  • I thought the price was a steal as it was on sale for Canadian $379.99 plus tax
  • I was also surprised to find out that this TV has a zoom function, so I can magnify the screen as much as I like, especially when I want to see the face of an actor closer
  • The only problem is the built-in DVD player is very sensitive, sometimes it won’t even play other DVD movies
  • Luckily, I found a work around, my notebook happens to have a more reliable DVD player so with the notebook and TV screen hooked together, I could still watch a DVD movie on the TV screen

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I bought this Insignia flatscreen LCD TV on August 13, 2008 and so far it has not given me any major problems. I got it from the Future Shop branch at the Surrey Central mall in the city of Surrey in British Columbia, Canada. I thought the price was a steal as it was on sale for Canadian $379.99 plus tax. So it came up to $453.59.

I was so excited to have a brand new TV, and flat screen at that since my roommate was moving and he was taking his old, CRT TV with him. A week before, my best friend bought a 42” Samsung flat screen TV for $650 plus tax.

Amidst this background, I thought I was getting a great deal, even if my brand new TV is half the size of my friend’s. It took me a while though to finally zero in on the right brand, model, price and features at the store. What made me swing in this model’s direction were two factors: The DVD player, which

is at the back of the TV itself, and the fact that I can use it as an alternative screen for my notebook computer.

I must admit, I wasn’t much of a TV watcher. At the most, I only watch episodes of CSI and Law & Order, and the news. But that was before I got this flat screen TV. For it’s price, it’s not the flat screen with the highest resolution, but comparable.

I was also surprised to find out that this TV has a zoom function, so I can magnify the screen as much as I like, especially when I want to see the face of an actor closer. By connecting it to my notebook, it became much easier to do my writing and other computer stuff.

And best of all, I didn’t need to buy a new computer monitor. I could use the flat screen as a computer monitor and TV at the flick of a switch on the remote, which was so easy to use. I would impress my visiting friends ...

• by zooming in on a character on TV and capturing all the details.

The only problem is the built-in DVD player is very sensitive, sometimes it won’t even play other DVD movies. This happened recently when I bought the new Indiana Jones movie, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull from Roger’s Video. I was so disappointed that I couldn’t watch it in full in the flat screen’s DVD player.

Luckily, I found a work around, my notebook happens to have a more reliable DVD player so with the notebook and TV screen hooked together, I could still watch a DVD movie on the TV screen. But of course, it would have been much better if the flat screen’s DVD player could be relied on all the time.

I guess this was the reason why I got the flat screen for a much cheaper price. I had originally wanted to bring in the TV for a warranty claim, but the one-year warranty beat me to it. Overall, I am quite satisfied with this flat screen, though.

It’s so easy

to use, and it’s very light, I never tire of moving it in different spots in my apartment, depending on where I am most comfortable in. The only location I have never tried it in is the cooking area.

This flat screen is probably the most overused TV in the world, because when it’s not in use to watch TV shows or movies, it’s busy being used as a substitute computer monitor. The only thing that scares me about this model is the very tiny, sleek base or feet, which should have been more sturdy.

In fact, at first it gave me a hard time trying to put the TV and it’s feet together, until one day I discovered the trick. Still, this model would have benefited more from increasing the width of the base so that there is no danger of it being knocked off. This has not happened yet, but you never know! Luckily, there are no kids in my apartment.

gail myers says :

can this tv be used as a computer monitor and if so how do we do that where or which jacks do we plug into

John says :

You will need to purchase a video cable to connect it to your computer, if you don’t have one. You will need either a RGB cable or a HDMI cable. Either would work. Just make sure your video card supports the cable.

Richie Mogwai adds :

Yes, Gail, you can buy an S-Video cable from the electronics department of Walmart, just make sure you count the number of pinholes from the TV, the number pins must correspond with the cable, and the number of pins can vary depending on Insignia which uses different cable standards.

Galega says :

To use your TV as a computer monitor, all you have to do is connect them with an HDMI or DP cable. Once you have your TV and your computer connected via an HDMI or DP cable, make sure that your PC’s resolution matches your TV’s resolution.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161509836490630/k2311a0915/9.15.09