Linksys Router
  • Now when we decided to buy the router the problem we faced was which router to buy
  • I strongly recommend the Linksys router to those who want to make a small network at home or office

• by ankgol

I need this router to connect our pc outside our hostel. We all friends love to play counter strike and other LAN games. Playing games on LAN is like hell lot of fun. Another reason behind the need of router is that we also need broadband connection in our hostel room (by the way I am using wireless internet at my home). Its too costly too takes one connection per person. So we got an idea that we can share the connections. Now when we decided to buy the router the problem we faced was which router to buy? We got the reference of Linksys DSL router from our course “Computer Networks”. We used to do practical of networking using this router. So we thought why not buy this.

It is black and blue device made of plastic. Two antennae are there on the backside of the router. The size is not too big but it

is comparable to the size of videocassette. On the front side of the router we have four pins where we can plug in the computers using network cable. The first thing is installation of the router. That’s not very easy process but if you are familiar with little bit of networking you can do it yourself. First you need to connect your modem with the router using the cable. Don’t worry you don’t need to buy the cable it comes with the package. Now connect your computers with the router. Next thing is to install the software that is very easy (just like any other software installation).

Now the good thing is that when we share the connection there is not much difference between download and upload speeds. We have created a small network of 4 computers. Now the question is that why I am using router if I can connect all computers by wire.

• My answer is that if we connect all computers with wire and connect broadband to main computer then it acts like a server to others. That means the pc should not be turned off when other computers are in use. That’s why we bought router. This is the main use of the router. You need to turn on the computer that you want to use. With this router we are making most of the broadband connection and I am very happy with that. One question arises in my mind that what if I want to add more than 4 computers in the network. Answer is that we need to buy another router. According to me it’s the only drawback of the router. If we want to connect more computers we can’t. To add more computers we can buy one more Linksys router but that seems very costly.

Another use of router is that on the

network we can share all our documents. This also helps in our project work. When we have to build documents we use application called visual source safe that helps in sharing all our documents with log files. This router also has wireless pin and from that we can connect wireless computers. We are not using this facility. I can say that we can connect as many devices as we want (in the range) using this. So your broadband connection is now shared with wi-fi facility with as many devices you want. I would like to add one more thing that if by mistake the router falls down on ground then you will not be able to use it. As I already said that it is made of plastic. Apart from this it’s a great innovation in the field of networking. I strongly recommend the Linksys router to those who want to make a small network at home or office.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 331409835700730/k2311a0914/9.14.09