Russian gypsy fortunetelling cards  » Games  »
  • I was recently at a nearby holistic festival that features all sorts of natural healing products, psychics and general interesting tidbits, such as gemstones and massage therapy and reiki energy healing
  • I've used these cards at parties with my friends, and they've all been fascinated and many of them come back several times because they enjoyed their readings, and learning about the history of the cards, and watching how the pictures form
  • This has something to do with angering ancestral spirits, but I think it's just a generally good philosophy to have
  • But generally speaking, as a game, this was a great deal of fun to learn and use and I recommend it to anyone interested in this sort of thing

• by Anasuya

I was recently at a nearby holistic festival that features all sorts of natural healing products, psychics and general interesting tidbits, such as gemstones and massage therapy and reiki energy healing. It’s a lot of fun for me to attend and sometimes participate in these kinds of events because, though I don’t typically believe in all of these things given that I’m a natural-born cynic, I do have a tendency to lean towards a certain level of mysticism and ecclectic practices.

On a whim, I sat down with a psychic. I’ve had psychic readings in the past, and they’ve almost always been a complete disappointment. I’ve read tarot myself over the years, and I can always tell when someone is giving me a “cold” reading, and just making up very general facts that could apply to anyone. Sometimes, you don’t get anything, and feel compelled to tell the client something, so you practically make it up. And, this was one of those instances. The reader was completely wrong and was telling me what I wanted to hear which was proven wrong in a matter of days. However, what I really wanted to focus on in this review were the tarot

cards she was using.

Even as a tarot reader myself, I’ll be the first to say that it is really nothing more than a game. It’s typically marketed and sold as a game, and you’ll usually only see them used by fakes or at Halloween parties as a prompt. Rarely do you run across an individual who really has a connection with the cards. So, I’m reviewing this product as a game, and a fun way to entertain yourself and your friends during an evening of partying and festivities.

These cards were designed by a woman who claims Russian Gypsy heritage. She wrote the book herself, which describes how the cards work and explains the meanings of the pictures, which she says have been passed down through her family for generations before she finally put them all to paper, which in the past, had been expressely forbidden by her “people”. The cards are beautifully made, and come in packs of 25 cards. During the readings, you lay the cards out on the table and have the person asking the question shuffle them by just spreading them around and around on the surface of the table until he or she feels ...

• satisfied, and the they scoop them up into a pile and hand them to the reader. The reader then lays them down, picture side facing up, one at a time, in five rows of five, moving from left to right starting with the top row and moving down. It works like a puzzle, because each card holds half of four different pictures. One half of a picture on each side of the card. As you lay them out, you’ll occassionally see a possible picture and you’ll have to shift the cards around until the sides of the cards make the picture complete. Once you’re done laying all the cards on the table, you can begin interpreting the meaning of the cards.

The definitions in the book are clear and concise and creative and they can easily apply to real life situations. They are still rather general, and it’s really up to the person reading the cards to interpret and decide how these meanings relate to the question which has been asked. It’s a lovely deck and the accompanying book is equally nice. It comes in a very sturdy black lacquer-type of box that holds both the book and cards and

is very durable. I’ve used mine regularly, and it’s been holding up well. There’s a smaller more flexible box that holds the cards themselves, and this is starting to show considerable wear, so I’ll likely just put a thin rubberband around the cards and toss that little box all together.

I’ve used these cards at parties with my friends, and they’ve all been fascinated and many of them come back several times because they enjoyed their readings, and learning about the history of the cards, and watching how the pictures form. The book states that you should only ask a question once. Even if the cards don’t give you the answer you want or were expecting to hear or if the answer simply isn’t clear enough, you have to wait until the next day to ask the question again. This has something to do with angering ancestral spirits, but I think it’s just a generally good philosophy to have. No one should become too dependant on what the cards have to say. But generally speaking, as a game, this was a great deal of fun to learn and use and I recommend it to anyone interested in this sort of thing.

Katerina Katapodi says :

re : But generally speaking, as a game, this was a great deal of fun to learn and use and I recommend it to anyone interested in this sort of thing
    Yes, true, I also believe sometimes to some people who can tell the future, mainly Astrologers, because Astrology is based on Maths, and from this point of view it’s a Science.
    In regard to cards as fortune teller, I have heard that cards come true, if they are`’said'’ on a day of Full Moon. I checked this twice, and it came true. Some people can have this special spiritual ability to tell the future-in this case from cards, however, this person has to be trustworthy, mainly if one will give money to them. NB Once they told me the future by reading the palm of my left hand, and EVERYTHING has come true until today. That man, a friend of mine, told me that in March 1985, and this came true in actually 1994, until today, it’s coming always true. This was a special case, but that friend was a serious person and developped mentally.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281209831911230/k2311a0912/9.12.09