Green Day - Insomniac  » Music  »
  • In my opinion tracks 8-11 are the best on the entire record and it’s really nice to hear all of those being played one after another
  • There are still some songs on here which continue to strike me as generic, something the band has always had a problem with on all their albums up to this point, but there are also some songs on here which I think are just excellent, notably Stuart And The Ave
  • Armatage Shanks – Armatage Shanks wastes no time in opening up this album with a pretty catchy sounding track in my opinion which is simple yet has a nice flow to it
  • Not an extremely catchy track, I’m sure there will be much catchier on here, but the song definitely has a nice flow and feels like it passes very quickly
  • I’d say this track is primarily carried by Armstrong’s melody and lyrics, which are basically humorous, but this isn’t a problem at all as they’re both strong components to the song

• by Grimmy101

Overview – Insomniac, Green Day’s fourth effort, continues with the sound that they developed on Dookie as they try to become better and better with songwriting. If I had to give a general pattern for this album, I’d say it gets progressively better as it goes along with some exceptions throughout. In my opinion tracks 8-11 are the best on the entire record and it’s really nice to hear all of those being played one after another. There are still some songs on here which continue to strike me as generic, something the band has always had a problem with on all their albums up to this point, but there are also some songs on here which I think are just excellent, notably Stuart And The Ave. The musicianship and songwriting is strong for the most part and is yet another strong effort put out by the band.

The Tracks –

1. Armatage Shanks – Armatage Shanks wastes no time in opening up this album with a pretty catchy sounding track in my opinion which is simple yet has a nice flow to it. I felt that the intro had a nice sounding drum pattern by TrÈ Cool and then Mike Dirnt soon joins him with his basslines which are nice and audible throughout the whole song, so right from the start I’m thinking this album will have a great sound to it, production wise. Not an extremely catchy track, I’m sure there will be much catchier on here, but the song definitely has a nice flow and feels like it passes very quickly. Good way to open the album, although I do hope the rest of the songs are slightly less straightforward.

2. Brat – Before I wasn’t a huge fan of Brat, and I still don’t think it’s all that great, but it’s better than I gave it credit for. I’m still not a huge fan of how the song starts, with just Armstrong shouting some words, but I’m getting a bit more used to it and it is starting to sound better actually. Once again, just sort of a song which flows very nicely throughout, and although it isn’t extremely catchy, it’s still quite a good melody to it and fits with the music behind it well. Unfortunately this song, like the opening track, is also quite straightforward and lacks something truly special about it which I’m hoping will change as the album progresses. I can understand opening the album with just some energetic and catchy tracks, but I do hope it gets to be more than just this. I will say Mike Dirnt has some nice

bass fills during this song however.

3. Stuck With Me – Well first off, as you can tell – I’ve said something nice about Cool and Dirnt’s musical performance at least once so far but I haven’t really mentioned Armstrong’s playing. I honestly didn’t really like any of his riffs in the first two songs, but Stuck With Me is much better, in fact Stuck With Me is just a much better song overall. The guitar riffs are better, the flow continues to be excellent, and Armstrong just sounds a lot better on this track in my opinion. I did enjoy the first two opening tracks, but Stuck With Me is definitely the first one which I enjoyed a lot and thought it was much better than the other material on here, excellent melody here by Armstrong.

4. Geek Stink Breath – Geek Stink Breath is slightly slower, just slightly, than any of the previous songs on here but I’d say that it’s just as good, and in fact even better than the first two tracks on here. Armstrong’s melody is quite as catchy as it was with Stuck With Me but it definitely works well with the music behind it, and the change in tempo is just sort of nice to hear as well. Armstrong also has a slightly more aggressive delivery on this track which is a nice change of pace as well. So far my second favorite song, just behind the previous one, nice track.

5. No Pride – During the verse I sort of felt that No Pride would just be another one of those Green Day songs which has a nice flow to it and everything, and it isn’t a bad song by any means, but it certainly isn’t great. Now, that isn’t to say that this song is great, although I would say it’s good at least, because once it got to its chorus I definitely thought of it as more than just another one of those Green Day songs which just sort of pass by and it’s gone. Unfortunately, only the chorus is really the thing about this song to catch my attention but it isn’t bad at all.

6. Babs Uvula Who – The opening riff of this song has such an AC/DC feel to me but Green Day adds their own character to it which I personally think works extremely well. The riff is so simple but Armstrong makes it work so well with his melody that it’s just great. Although this song is actually pretty straightforward and quite simple, I think that things just come together even better than normal here ...

• which is why I like the song so much.

7. 86 – Somewhat of a catchy chorus, really not too much else in this song in my opinion though. Mike Dirnt has some nice basslines throughout the song and it flows very well, something Armstrong and the band have always been great at doing, but it just doesn’t strike me in the same way as some of their previous work on this album has. I will say though that this is definitely the track which showcases Dirnt the most out of the tracks that I’ve listened to so far, and in my opinion – it’s a great way to lead into the next track.

8. Panic Attack – Panic Attack is excellent and that’s all I can say here. Dirnt’s extremely repetitive and extremely fast bassline blends so well with Cool’s drumming behind that and Armstrong’s guitar work over it. Dirnt’s songwriting on here is absolutely excellent and him and Armstrong work extremely well together in writing the music for this song. I will say that the first time I listened to this track I thought it was going to be an instrumental, but vocals do come in about halfway through the song. The vocal section isn’t bad at all, but I do think it would’ve been interesting to hear the band do a complete instrumental going in the same direction as the first half of the song started, great track – definitely one of my favorites on here.

9. Stuart And The Ave. – I’m not sure but I’d probably say that this is my favorite track off the entire album. The last two songs really showcased Dirnt quite a bit and this song isn’t really an exception at all. Armstrong sounds excellent once again and his melody is one of the best I’ve heard the entire album, I’ll even give him quite a bit of credit for his lyrics on this track as well. This song may be extremely repetitive as well, but to be honest, for this track, I don’t care at all. Each of the verses are strong enough to stand on their own and the chorus is just excellent in my opinion, excellent song.

10. Brain Stew – Brain Stew is probably the best known song on this album, and for good reason I’d have to say. When I heard the first few bits I figured this is a pretty good verse, but if this song were to stay like this the whole time then I’d honestly think the song is terrible. I couldn’t listen of three minutes of that extremely simple rhythm and slow tempo –

it’d just be so boring. Luckily, Green Day does change things up slightly throughout the song so it isn’t all that boring to listen to or anything, and one thing I have to say is that the transition into Jaded is excellent.

11. Jaded – Jaded honestly feels like the second half of Brain Stew and I’m sort of surprised that the band didn’t try to combine these songs in some way. Whereas Brain Stew was actually quite a slow song, I think the slowest so far on the album actually, Jaded is basically what I felt was missing in Brain Stew – an extremely fast and chaotic section, and that’s exactly what this song is. At least the band put them back to back on the record, but I am pretty surprised they weren’t combined to form one song. Nevertheless, this song, along with Brain Stew, are both very good songs.

12. Westbound Sign – Maybe it’s sort of just coming out of some excellent songs, starting with Panic Song, but Westbound Sign honestly just doesn’t strike me as anything that good. The band sort of goes back to that type of song which just flows through for two minutes nicely and everything, but it isn’t extremely memorable by any means. After hearing the past four songs I was hoping that they would continue in the direction those four songs went in because they all had something quite unique about each of them, but this just seems a bit generic to me.

13. Tight Wad Hill – Maybe I’ve been missing it, but Tight Wad Hill is the first song that I actually noticed harmony vocals in a part of the song which I think is something that has always worked for Green Day pretty well, in moderation at least. Tight Wad Hill isn’t quite as good as some of the previous tracks on this album but it is a step up from Westbound Sign, and by this, I can just hope that it can step up slightly more and end with a strong final track.

14. Walking Contradiction – I wrote about that I was hoping the band would finish this record strong with a good final song and they certainly do. Walking Contradiction is another one of my favorite songs from this album and it definitely works very well in my opinion. I really enjoy Armstrong’s lyrics on this track along with his vocal melody to go with the music behind him. I’d say this track is primarily carried by Armstrong’s melody and lyrics, which are basically humorous, but this isn’t a problem at all as they’re both strong components to the song.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141109831270830/k2311a0911/9.11.09