Windmill Island Gardens  » Travel  »
1 Lincoln Avenue, Holland, Michigan, USA
  • The windmill was very interesting, and although we couldn’t go inside, we got up very close to watch it work
  • There were also a few tables set up with some Dutch fudge to sample, which was delicious

• by Jessie Bahrey

My Dutch relatives still live near Holland, Michigan, and on my last trip there, I spent some time visiting some of the cultural and historical sites. One thing I came to appreciate was just how much of the Dutch culture and customers the immigrants brought to this area when they settled in this area. Having been to Holland on several occasions myself, I saw many places that are very authentically Dutch, and Windmill Island Gardens is a good example of one of those places.

My grandparents were anxious to show us some of the attractions in Holland, so one day we drove to Windmill Island Gardens, which is located in the

heart of the city. This site is, according to the brochures I read, 36 acres of dikes, canals, gardens, and picnic areas with many authentic Dutch items like a 240 year old windmill that actually still works, a carousel, a museum as well as a shop and an area where folk dances are performed. We drove in and parked, paid our entrance fee, and began exploring this delightful property.

The windmill was very interesting, and although we couldn’t go inside, we got up very close to watch it work. I was surprised at how big it actually is. The carousel has hand-painted wooden horses, and looks very much like ones I saw ...

• in Europe. There was an authentic street organ from Amsterdam, and the person playing it was explaining how it worked. We didn’t go in the museum, but instead wandered around the gardens and saw miniature dikes and canals that again reminded me of Holland. According to the brochure, every spring over 150,000 tulips bloom, but we saw other plants and flowers as it was well past spring when we visited. The gardens and ground are meticulously cared for and groomed. We saw children dressed in Dutch clothing, including wooden shoes, perform some folk dances, and the photographs were excellent from this dance because they danced in the foreground of the windmill.
        There were also a few tables set up with some Dutch fudge to sample, which was delicious. On our way out, we stopped in the gift shop and bought some fudge and browsed some of the souvenirs, which included wooden shoes.

Windmill Island Gardens is a very interesting attraction for those interested in culture and history and also for garden enthusiasts; it is very reminiscent of Holland, and the Dutch settlers in Holland, Michigan are very proud of their culture and keep it alive.

The hours of operation are April-October, daily 9am-5pm; they are closed in the winter months.

Entrance fees are $7.50 for adults and $4.50 for children; there are group discounts available.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381109831160830/k2311a0911/9.11.09