Deklomp Wooden Shoe and Delft Factory  » Travel  »
12755 Quincy Street, Holland, Michigan, USA
  • While visiting Holland, Michigan, my Dutch grandparents wanted to take us to see as many authentic Dutch attractions as we could, and one day they planned a visit to the Deklomp Wooden Shoe and Delft Factory

• by Jessie Bahrey

While visiting Holland, Michigan, my Dutch grandparents wanted to take us to see as many authentic Dutch attractions as we could, and one day they planned a visit to the Deklomp Wooden Shoe and Delft Factory. Although I have been to the real Holland several times, I was looking forward to seeing this site because my grandparents told me that the artists talk to visitors as they make Delft items, which was something I had not experienced before.

We drove to Deklomp Wooden Shoe and Delft Factory, which was about 15 minutes from my

grandparents’ home and about 2 miles north of downtown Holland, and right off the interstate. There was a windmill, of course, on the grounds, as well as many tulips, and there are acres of other flowers and plants. The factory itself, which is free to tour, was made up of several buildings and rooms. The wooden shoe carving area has artisans dressed in traditional Dutch costumes and making the shoes from just a block of wood. There was one man who operated a machine which carved and smoothed the shoes, and another person to ...

• hand-paint the shoes. In the Delft section, artists dressed in Dutch clothing molded, hand-painted and glazed cups, plates and many other items in the traditional blue and white Delft. The brochure that we had picked up from the entrance told us that this is the only authentic Delft made in the US, and that all of the equipment involved in the wooden shoe making was imported from the Netherlands. I actually learned more about the making of wooden shoes and Delft, two of the items for which Holland is known all over the world
        for producing, than I had ever known, and I certainly felt more educated after my tour of this attraction.

After our tour, we stopped in the gift shop, where customers can purchase the authentic wooden shoes and Delft items, as well as many other authentic Dutch items like fudge, tulip bulbs and many other items. They are not as expensive as some gift shop souvenirs, either. A visit to Deklomp Wooden Shoe and Delft Factory is a must for anyone with Dutch heritage or anyone interested in history and culture.

Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 8am-6pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381109831130830/k2311a0911/9.11.09