Minsk Dark Oak Display Unit  » Furniture  »
2.5
  • I purchased this from Homebase, but I think Argos and others stock it

• by brightstar78

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I purchased this from Homebase, but I think Argos and others stock it.

I went for it because it was _relatively_ inexpensive compared to similar furniture, but it was still £65.

It was a bit disappointing.

The dark wood veneer looks very cheap and a tad nasty. The slightest knock and it starts to peel off, it’s also very hard to clean and therefore always looks a bit tired.

Structurally it’s quite weak. The

bottom feels solid enough, but the middle sections and the top wobble with the same slightest knock that makes the veneer peel off. The backing is a very thin piece of card. Anyone who has constructed furniture of a similar nature knows that nailing in the backing can help prevent twisting and keep everything rigid. The piece of card is not up to the task.

The bottom draw is not terribly useful as a ...

• draw. Even though the door front is quite deep, the draw sides are about half (or less) of the front. So you just can’t put much in there without it spilling out over the sides.

The final disappointment is the handle on the draw. It’s 100% plastic painted to look silver. It doesn’t have that satin sheen you would expect from satin / chrome finish. It looks like a silver car that came off

the production line without the metallic spray. In short it looks utterly rubbish. Also, the supplied screws were not the right length or fit. So, I ended up buying my own handle from B&Q kitchen centre and fitted that myself.

I will make sure I get samples of anything I order online, or stick to buying furniture in shops from now on.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 571109830910830/k2311a0911/9.11.09