The Appeal by John Grisham book  » Books  »
  • I think the book sells just because he is John Grisham, and not because it is a good story

• by TheAdvocate

I have always been a John Grisham fan, having read all his books and watched his movies for decades now. However, I have felt the decline of his writing since The Chamber, and I have read his subsequent books only because I cannot stand half-finished tasks and just to see if he

has improved.

The Appeal therefore was no surprise then that it was let-down because I feel that he has let me down a long time ago with his predictable plots.

Somehow there is a hole in his storytelling.

He has lost his touch.

Like in this book, when did he jump from ...

• overturning a verdict to controlling a judicial election? The plot is just too far-fetched for me, and has a lot of holes.

The Firm was a one-hit wonder which to this day, he could not duplicate, but has been trying very hard to do so until now.

The ending was just too

blah for me, too predictable, and too abrupt.

His character development has also stagnated, with characters that the reader cannot connect with.

There is not enough foundation laid down, or story told in this story.

I think the book sells just because he is John Grisham, and not because it is a good story.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171009830590430/k2311a0910/9.10.09