Mt. Pulag Trek  » Travel  »
Benguet, Philippines
  • I must say as a forewarning not to try to cut cost on the important things you must have to prepare for this trip
  • But I'm thankful I decided against it and bought a pair of Merrell trekking shoes
  • Take note that as you get closer and closer to the camp site, the atmosphere will get thin that you might experience some difficulty in breathing

• by Collette

I’ve only been reading about Mt. Pulag in our history books. It’s the third highest mountain in the Philippines, and the highest in the Luzon area. It is 2,922 meters above sea level and seen in the Benguet province. It was something that I never really thought I would one day try to climb. Until one day, a friend invited me to join a group who’s climbing Mt. Pulag for a charitable cause. Proceeds of the project will help build homes for the indigent. I said yes immediately without really knowing what I was getting into.

I’m a newbie in mountain climbing/trekking, and so I hope with this review, I will be able to help all those newbies out there who wish to try climbing Mt.Pulag also at one point in their lives. As a newbie, I focused mainly on the attire I will wear for this adventure. I must say as a forewarning not to try to cut cost on the important things you must have to prepare for this trip. You could hardly rely on anyone else once you are there.

Initially, I would have settled on wearing my running/gym shoes for this trek. But I’m thankful I decided against it and bought a pair of Merrell trekking shoes. There are other brands you could try like Columbia, Keen, North Face and Hi Tec. Whichever brand you get, you are guaranteed that you will be safer by wearing the right kind of shoes for this trip. Trekking shoes have spikes for traction, especially since you will for the most part traverse on uneven and rough trails. It was even slightly

raining during our climb and that made the soil softer and more slippery.

Other must haves are a thermal jacket, a bonnet, gloves, and a sleeping bag. The Philippines may be a hot and humid country but it is a different story altogether when you are above the clouds already. It will be freezingly cold and you will need all the protection you can get to prevent hypothermia. I wore three dri-fit shirts, one long sleeved shirt, a regular jacket, then a thermal jacket. The gloves were also a big help to me. Without it, I could have hardly moved my fingers. The sleeping bag kept me comfortable during my sleep at night.

There are three trails you can choose from with varying levels of difficulty. We were in the Ambangeg trail, the easiest level. This means there were hardly any steep inclines in our route. The Akiki trail is more difficult with 45-degree inclinations or more. Nevertheless, whatever trail you choose, it’s a must that you are physically fit for this adventure because it will prove to be very tiresome. I am basically a fit person who exercise regularly, but I still experienced muscle aches after this trek. My shoulders ached from the weight of the backpack I carried with me. My legs were also sore from the strenuous trek we did.

From Manila, it will take around six hours to travel up north to Benguet. It will take another two hours to go to the ranger’s station where you will be briefed about what to expect from the climb. I’m proud to say that Mt.Pulag is a clean mountain even if ...

• thousands of people climb it every year. The trekkers respect the rules imposed in the mountains. There are no trash left littered anywhere to preserve the beauty of the mountain. We picked up all our trashes and brought them back home with us during our descent.

From the ranger station, we trekked continuously uphill for around five hours. It seemed like the long winding route will never end. This was the most difficult part for me because I was carrying 3 liters of water on my back, along with other necessities for camping, while trying to defy the pull of gravity in every step. After these grueling hours, we reached camp station 2 where we will rest for the night before trekking anew to the summit. We needed all the rest we could get as the trek to the summit will commence at 4AM to catch the sunrise.

Take note that as you get closer and closer to the camp site, the atmosphere will get thin that you might experience some difficulty in breathing. Make sure you take even breaths all the time. Also, along the way, I brought some sweets to energize and hydrate me. Jellyace is highly recommended. You could also eat crackers. It will start to get colder also as you reach the campsite that you might by this time want to pull out your jackets from your pack.

You could distribute the cooking utensils and tents among your bags because as much as possible you want to carry lighter loads. Don’t be afraid to use water from the spring nearby. It’s clean and odorless. Sleep early because you will

have to wake up early to catch the sunrise.

So by 4AM we were already up on our toes to climb the summit. This is when the flashlights will come in handy. You might want to buy a hat with a built-in light so that your hands are kept free for balancing. In my case, I opted to just hold a flashlight. But if I could do it again, I’ll probably buy the hat instead. The trek to the top took a full hour. It was so much colder up there! We reached the top early and had so much time to wait for the sunrise.

And then, there it was. Very slowly the dawn broke and the sun rose steadily. It was the most beautiful sight ever. The cameras started clicking away to capture this glorious sight for forever. We were above the clouds and I could hardly contain my emotions. It was like being in heaven. The clouds looked just like water from where we were. It was a very good time to shout at the top of your lungs that you are on top of the world!

The hills seemed to roll on endlessly in plain view. There was nothing to block my view. I could turn 360 degrees at the sight of lovely mountains, clouds, and the rising sun. It simply was a magical experience I will never forget.

Conquering Mt. Pulag is something I will treasure forever. In a way it also made me fall in love with nature and the outdoors. I want to go back up there, and also climb more mountains while my body still can.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381009830370430/k2311a0910/9.10.09