Attleboro, Massachusetts  » General  »
City of Attleboro, Bristol County, New England, USA
  • Attleboro is a mixed town - rent prices tend to be on the higher side, because it is a convenient stop on the commuter rail for Boston and Providence
  • Through working in a customer service position in a local coffee house, I have met a wide range of interesting people here
  • Eating in Attleboro is an experience that compares favorably with any well appointed city
  • Some favorites of mine are the 'Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant', which serves the best Chinese food in the biggest portions
  • For a small zoo the range of unusual animals, as well as some old favorites, was quite surprising to me, and greatly enjoyed by my young nephew from England when he visited

• by EnglishTeaDuck

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

You may realize from my pen name, EnglishTeaDuck, that I am not originally from America. In fact, I was enticed into the USA by a New England man who has now been my husband for five years! So, my point of view of the town in which is live has the added touch of being that of an outsider, not only of the town, but of the country.

Attleboro is a mixed town - rent prices tend to be on the higher side, because it is a convenient stop on the commuter rail for Boston and Providence. Then there are those who were born and raised here, and many who remember when this town was a notable center for making fine jewelry in New England. Combined with these are a great mixture of different ethnicities, from Cambodian to Guatemalan to Portuguese and Swedish, and many more. Through working in a customer service position in a local coffee house, I have met a wide range of interesting people here.

On first arriving in Attleboro, my first impression, if I’m honest was not one of

a thriving Arts community, but it seems that first impressions do not always last….in August 2009 the town put on its first ‘Arts Expo’ day, and showed the surrounding area exactly how much talent there is here. Many wonderful artists, crafters, musicians, restaurants and local businesses were represented and I hope in the future the abundance of creative expression which is going on among the people of this town will be used and displayed in many ways, including the varied exhibits, activities and classes at the Attleboro Arts Museum.

Eating in Attleboro is an experience that compares favorably with any well appointed city. Some favorites of mine are the ‘Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant’, which serves the best Chinese food in the biggest portions. If you prefer Thai, the ‘Blue Moon’ on Pleasant Street is worth a look. There are some great local pizza places and also the usual chains such as KFC and Dunkin Donuts. But for me, Attleboro does breakfast best. From ‘Morins’, for the biggest breakfast you’ve ever seen,and impossible to resist muffins, to ‘The Breakfast Place’, with its ...

• great service and an imaginative range of sweet or savory pancake fillings, if you are meeting someone for food in Attleboro, make it breakfast!

There has been much work done on the appearance of the city center in recent months, and certainly sidewalks have been improved and things are looking better. One thing that would greatly improve the appearance of the town would be to attract some new and different businesses to the central area, and dispose of the many shabby empty shop fronts that sadly bring down what could be an attractive center - the buildings themselves are older and would look wonderful if taken care of and revitalized in this way.

Finally, I cannot complete a review of Attleboro without mentioning Capron Park Zoo. I discovered this some time into my new life here and it is a delight which I keep going back to. The cost is very reasonable to visit, and is reduced for local residents. For a small zoo the range of unusual animals, as well as some old favorites, was quite surprising to me, and greatly enjoyed

by my young nephew from England when he visited. The zoo have recently acquired a very noble looking White Lion - pay a visit and you will know with one look who the ruler of Capron Park is!

My first impression of Attleboro were perhaps not the best - I saw the unkempt storefronts, a place very different to where I come from, and for my first few months, I was experiencing New England snow - not something I was familiar with in the South of England, where after one inch we start closing schools!

But I gave it time, worked and lived here, and am coming to appreciate a vibrant creative community, which is there for the taking if you are brave enough to step up and get involved. The easy access to Providence and Boston is certainly a bonus, and something I enjoy if I want a taste of the America with the high rise skylines I always imagined - the best of both worlds.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11009830340330/k2311a0910/9.10.09