V for Vendetta(2006) - DVD  » Movies  »
2.5
  • But we were not discussing all the salient points of the movie, or how iconic or amazing that movie was
  • All that hype that I have heard about is is not true, in my opinion
  • And true, it is happening right now, on a smaller scale, but that does not make it anymore interesting
  • The action scenes are over-the-top and boring

• by Eternal Now
      I took my girlfriend to see this film about two weeks after it opened. The theatre was still packed. My buddy had said so many positive things about this movie, and highly recommended it. So, My amazingly beautiful girlfriend and I made our way into the dark movie theatre, popcorn and soda in hand, ready to see a killer flick. Almost three hours later, we emerged into the sun.

Blinded by the bright sun, we talked about the movied while our eyes adjusted to the sunlight. V for Vendetta actually became our main topic of conversation for about three hours after the film. But we were not discussing all the salient points of the movie, or how iconic or amazing that movie was. NO, we were laughing and making fun of the obvious cliche’ that the whole movie represented.

We joked and created our own titles for the movie with every letter of the alphabet. I have to

say, that personally, this was not THAT great of a movie. All that hype that I have heard about is is not true, in my opinion. The story is like this: The year is 2020, After many wars, England is ruled by a corrupt government(Hmm…where have we seen this cliche’ before?).

The government(like a Big Brother type government) uses Fear and force to control the people. They place cameras abd microphones all over the country and confiscate all free thinking forms of art and literature. Dissenters, rebels and people who do not “fit” into the governments structured and “normal” society are rounded up and done away with. The population is controlled via media.

V(played by Hugo Weaving) decides to fight the corrupt government through rather radical actions(and by radical I mean terroristic). V bases his whole campaign on Guy Fawkes, some guy who tried to blow up Parliment on November 5, 1605. He even wears a mask that ...

• depicts Fawkes, and you can barely hear what he is saying through the mask. He rescues Evey(Natalie Portman) from an attempted raping and kidnaps her and recruits her to fight with him against the corruption.

-Yep, we have heard this story for YEARS! And true, it is happening right now, on a smaller scale, but that does not make it anymore interesting. (Note: I really do enjoy the corrupt government setting, but the way the Wachowski Brothers direct it and the way the story by James McTeigue is written, the story seems so washed up and empty) Now, don’t get me wrong, the theme and the underlaying message of using extreme action to shake complacence and wake people up from indifference is true, and obviously there is injustice and corruption evident in our real world. But, the movie tugs at too many heart strings and tries to force the audience into an empathetic and sympathetic stance on the

main characters of the film. To me all that was achieved was a stance that the movie was sort of pathetic.

Another annoyance was some of the dialogue in the script. V’s formidable use of all words that start with V was rather silly, and some of the jokes were lame and to me, fell short of comedic genius. The action scenes are over-the-top and boring. It’s all been done before, and done much better elsewhere.

The whole idea of one man taking on ten has been done way too many times to be “cool” anymore. The fight against injustice and the corrupt government, is so badly “over done” it is sickening. I must stress the fact that there is NOTHING new in this film. There is nothing that is eye=popping or even really remotely thought provoking offered here.

If you want to see a good Wachowski Brothers movie rent the fist Matrix. That, in my opinion is their all time BEST movie. V for Vendetta is R for Rental only.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11160882760331/k2311a0816/8.16.06