Little Rock Central High School  » Education  »
1500 S Park St Little Rock, AR 72202
  • I really enjoyed going to school there and I have many fond memories of the grounds and the classes
  • I don't know if it's changed much, but if not, then I say it's the best school in Little Rock, AR

• by onerios13

There are few high schools out there that can compare with the history and the majesty of Little Rock Central High School, the high school I graduated with a class of over eight hundred students. It literally took up an entire block and had a total of nine stories, although around three of them were closed off and not open to students. The first time I saw this high school I was utterly overwhelmed as I had come from a private school that had at most twenty five students PER grade.

And here I was suddenly thrust into a school where every day I meet someone new and who I had never seen before. If you have any sense of history you should know that this was the first integrated high

school in the south and the saga of nine African American students who tried to enter its vaulted halls.

It took several months and a few hundred National Guards and an order from the President to finally allow them into the school, and even so, only one made it through those tough years and graduated. I remember when they filmed this story on the grounds of the school and watched as a friend of mine played a part in the crowd of students that were haranguing the Little Rock Nine.

It was quite exciting and I was proud to go to a school so rich in history.

As for the school itself, if you see pictures of it, you’ll know why it’s considered one of the most beautiful schools in America.

There ...

• is something almost Gothic in design, the hallways twisting around and stairways everywhere. I loved this school because of its beauty and it was almost a badge of honor to get to each class on time as it took nearly five minutes just to walk from end of the building to the other! It is here that I met my bestest friend in the world and where we always ate lunch outside.

At first we were allowed to eat on the front steps of the school, but because of later drive by shootings as the school is located in a deteriorating neighborhood where once it stood in an all white neighborhood, we were only allowed to eat at the back of the school, which was fine as it was still pretty

and shaded with trees. As far as the education goes, this was the school that received the most funding and therefore had the brightest, and most experienced teachers as well as the most talented students.

I really liked all my classes and their AP program was very advanced and considered college level. I really enjoyed going to school there and I have many fond memories of the grounds and the classes.

It’s a simply gorgeous school and if I ever have children and if I ever move back to the state, that is where I would send my kids to go to school. I don’t know if it’s changed much, but if not, then I say it’s the best school in Little Rock, AR.

, with the best teachers and the most hallowed history.

Little Rock Central High School

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 50809827151130/k2311a098/9.8.09