Ajax Scouring Cleanser  » Housewares  »
  • I think the difference between the two gets lost in translation at times
  • But, to date, I've never had any problem with scratches appearing on the surfaces i've cleaned
  • He disagrees to this day, but since I usually do the cleaning, he's willing to let me use whatever product I like best
  • It does dry out the hands excessively, though, so I'd always recommend wearing those household rubber gloves, or even surgical gloves

• by Nikki Hanna

I’m a total neat freak. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again and sing it out loudly and proudly in the streets. I’ve always been very proud of the fact that my house is always clean and I go through great lengths to make sure it stays that way. I’ve taken great pains to raise my children with the understanding that “cleanliness is next to godliness” and that they should not only pick up after themselves, but really truly CLEAN up after themselves as well. I think the difference between the two gets lost in translation at times. And, I try to find products that make the cleaning process around my house a little better. My husband used to swear up and down that you should clean soapscum from the bathtube with baby oil because that’s what they used in the military, but when I nearly slipped and killed myself on the bathtub faucet I knew there had to be a better solution and came across the powdered Ajax scouring cleanser, which was like a dream in a bottle.

You can find this product just about anywhere, and the bottle usually costs a $1 or less

and it really goes a long way, though I tend to overuse just to make sure I cover my bases and get every last surface area in my house clean. I’ve been able to use it on tile, the bathtub, sinks, countertops, even baking dishes that had some burnt on greases and gunk that most of us who have burned dinner just hate contemplating cleaning afterwards. It has a non-scratch component that, for me, has made it ideal in my household because I have some surfaces that are sensitive to the scouring powders such as this. But, to date, I’ve never had any problem with scratches appearing on the surfaces i’ve cleaned. I think my most favorite surface to use it on is the bathtub itself. Of course, I actually hate the process of cleaning the bathtub, no matter the product involved, but this cleanser certainly makes the process a whole lot more bareable. Whereas before, when my husband was using baby oil, it would take him a half an hour to scrub the bathtub, and I had to remind him that he probably learned this trick in the military because his superiors thought it would by hysterical ...

• to make the new guys scrub with the most ridiculous product ever. He disagrees to this day, but since I usually do the cleaning, he’s willing to let me use whatever product I like best. And, for the bathtub, Ajax is that product without a doubt. They creators of this cleanser weren’t kidding when they created the tagline “you’ll stop paying the elbow tax when you start using ajax” because it cut the bathtub scrubbing time in half, at least, though probably a little more than that.

It does dry out the hands excessively, though, so I’d always recommend wearing those household rubber gloves, or even surgical gloves. If I don’t were my gloves while cleaning with this cleanser, I end up with almost painfully dry skin on my hands. Also, it’s dangerous on cuts and scrapes. I had a scrap on my knuckle and forgot about it until I started scrubbing the bathtub without gloves on and that little scrap suddenly started burning and feeling like a really huge cut across my hand because the Ajax has chemicals that just don’t do well with raw skin. Also, it’s a little more time-consuming than I’d like to make

sure the surface is properly rinsed afterwards, because if you don’t, it tends to leave a film behind. Other than these two factors, however, this product has been one of my favorites, and I never am without it in my house. Another warning to advise you of is to wear old clothes if you’re going to be scrubbing with this product, because it will bleach out your clothes if you get the wet powder on you, or if you have dry powder still on you and you put your clothes out to be washed. The minute that powder gets wet… forget it, you’ve ruined your clothes. I have a spray bottle for most things that I use, but the Ajax is the scrubbing-is-necessary cleaner, because it just makes the process less taxing than it would otherwise be. I was also very pleased to discover that Ajax now has a whole brand of products available, even including laundry detergent, which I might have to try soon one of these days. I figure if the scrubbing cleanser works as good as it does, then the other products can be too far off the mark either. Regardless, I definitely highly recommend.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 53809827071130/k2311a098/9.8.09