FUTURO Sport, Deluxe Ankle Stabilizer  » Health  »
  • This normally wouldn't be a problem, but as we were moving into our condo, I severely twisted my ankle carrying heavy boxes of my books down our steps
  • So, I was back at the doctor and they wanted to give me a stabalizing brace that would cost an arm and a leg, but they also suggested I could find a more commercial version at the drug store
  • So, for $18 I found the Futuro Sport, Deluxe ankle support
  • We've gotten our money's worth out of it, and aside from the issue with rubbing on the sides of my foot, it's really a nice brace
  • But really, we've enjoyed it and gotten a lot of use out of it

• by Nikki Hanna

Last September, my husband and I had a lot of changes we were going through. We had just finished closing on our new condominium, and were getting ready to move, and I had, after a long eight year sabbatical, had finally started working again because my kids were now old enough to stay home by themselves for short periods of time. I began working at Payless early September, right as we were moving, and it’s a busy job that keeps me moving and up and down ladders and on my feet at all times. This normally wouldn’t be a problem, but as we were moving into our condo, I severely twisted my ankle carrying heavy boxes of my books down our steps. And all two days into my new job, which I had to be able to function for. After all, they aren’t going to hire someone who is immediately going to end up on crutches the first three weeks of work.

I went to the doctor as soon as I could get in, and the xrays she took didn’t show and breaks

that she could see, but she told me that I had a severe tear in my ligament and I needed to give my ankle a rest. So, luckily, I had a few days off work at the time, because I was still in training, and I figured I’d kick my heels up and just relax before I had to head back. Unfortuantely, the doctor meant more rest and less use of the ankle than I had afforded it and it was back to hurting the first day of work. So, I was back at the doctor and they wanted to give me a stabalizing brace that would cost an arm and a leg, but they also suggested I could find a more commercial version at the drug store. So, for $18 I found the Futuro Sport, Deluxe ankle support.

It has these hard plastic pieces on each side, which provides rigid support so a flimsy ankle isn’t going to move around and cause further injury. And it has a comfortable elastic velcro strip so you can fit it to your leg properly without ...

• either cutting off your circulation or being too lose to be effective. The material was nice and breathable and my ankle and lower calf wasn’t sweating wrapped up in this thing, which it would have done with the brace the doctor wanted to give me. The ankle straps also lift and give arch support which is also a nice benefit to this brace when I’m on my feet all day and can’t necessarily were orthotic supportive sneakers. And speaking of shoes, the plastic pieces aren’t so bulky that I couldn’t wear my regular flats with this brace, which was nice as I’m sure my boss wouldn’t have been appreciative of me wearing tennis shoes to work.

However, after a few hours in this brace, I began to notice that the plastic pieces started digging into the base of my foot, at the sides, and was causing some serious discomfort by the time the day was over. Granted, my ankle felt fine, but now I had nice red raw marks on my foot that took another day to disipate, but by that time, it

was time to head back to work, and that meant another day in this brace. i ended up having to wrap an ace bandage around that part of my foot before putting the brace on, and once I did that, it seemed to fix the problem well enough.

It really is a good product for the price, and we’ve used it several times since whenever one of us twists our ankle and there’s nothing a doctor can do for it that some rest and an ice pack wont do. We’ve gotten our money’s worth out of it, and aside from the issue with rubbing on the sides of my foot, it’s really a nice brace. Also, it’s interchangeable from foot to foot, so you don’t have to buy a right and left one. One annoying thing is that the velcro starts to lose efficiency after continual use, so if you’re a compulsive “adjuster” you just might wear out the velcro capabilities here and it wont stay tight on the foot. But really, we’ve enjoyed it and gotten a lot of use out of it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 34809827051130/k2311a098/9.8.09