Littermaid Automatic Litter Box
1.5
  • I've been both a dog and cat lover all my life, and when the idea of owning a dog still seemed a little daunting to my husband and I who had small kids at home, at the time, we decided perhaps, when a stray adorable cat showed up at our door, that we could definitely handle owning a cat
  • Regardless, we knew we needed to do something to fix the problem
  • It wont be worth any of the money I paid for it if he decides he wont go near it at all
  • Don't let it sit even for a minute and you can get rid of the smell and save yourself a new television for the cost of this kitty box

• by Anasuya

I’ve been both a dog and cat lover all my life, and when the idea of owning a dog still seemed a little daunting to my husband and I who had small kids at home, at the time, we decided perhaps, when a stray adorable cat showed up at our door, that we could definitely handle owning a cat. We took it to the vet, had its shots and everything checked out, and our nice all black cat, lovingly named “Spooky” was ready to become a permanent part of my family.

I’ve also always been a fanatic when it comes to keeping my house looking clean and smelling fresh and I have to admit, I didn’t notice a kitty litter smell while we had the cat. But then a friend of mine came over, who didn’t yet know we had the cat, and she could immediately smell the litter box and I was basically pretty mortified by that, because I guess we had all gotten rather used to it, or it was such a gradual buildup

that we didn’t notice it. Regardless, we knew we needed to do something to fix the problem. We invested in orange peel cat litter, special scented litter tray liners, baking powder mixed in with fresh litter, and we’d scoop and clean it on a daily basis, but still, we couldn’t seem to completely disipate the smell. I’d even have friends come over, who werent here often and weren’t used to these smells, to tell me if they could still smell a cat box when they walked in and, sadly, most of them could. But, at that point, I didn’t know what else I could do to help the problem.

Then I, (very stupidly) decided to invest in this Littermaid Automatic Litter Box, at a ridiculous price of $140, and that was on sale! To this day, I still feel idiotic for having made this purchase, because this litter box was nothing more than a glorified normal litter box, it just made the process of scooping easier. It’s supposed to be on a sensor detecting timer, so ...

• when the cat goes to the bathroom, a few minutes later (the machine gives the cat time to do its business and vacate the litter box), it runs it’s little scooper thorugh the litter and puts the waste into this sealed container. You have to plug it in, or it takes batteries, but it’s much more of an electronic appliance that I had originally figured it for. You only get four waste bins to start with and either have to keep cleaning them or buying new ones, and those aren’t cheap either. And cleaning them kind of defeats the purpose of having this expensive do-it-all litter box to begin with.

You have to use the self-clumping litter with this contraption, and yes, the machine DOES scoop up the litter, but there have been times it’s nearly scooped my cat up with it! My cat is almost afraid to use the litter box now because it’s been near the thing when it’s started racking and totally freaked the cat out. It wont be worth any of the

money I paid for it if he decides he wont go near it at all. Sure, I don’t have to scoop daily, but there has only been a slight improvement in the smell. If guests are paying close attention, or I don’t have my usual scented candles burning, then they CAN still smell the litter box, despite these little waste collecting, self-sealing containers.

In the end, I’d never suggest anyone spend this kind of money on a litter box which only helps propogate total laziness. I didn’t have any problem scooping, I just wanted something to help the smell, and this machine claimed to do that. I can’t even call it a litter box any more… it’s henceforth been refured to as “that infernal contraption”, and I’m sure my poor traumatized cat would agree with that assessment.

Save your money and scoop yourself immediately after your cat goes. Don’t let it sit even for a minute and you can get rid of the smell and save yourself a new television for the cost of this kitty box.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 29809826921130/k2311a098/9.8.09