Unisom: Doxylamine 25 mg tablets as a sleep aid  » General  »
  • Since I had never tried this ingredient before, I thought it was worth the try
  • Problem is it continues to deliver, and continues
  • I have taken many products for sleep, both over the counter and prescription, and from my experience Unisom is the best thing out there
  • The hangover effect can be an issue if you need to drive
  • This one does not compare to the Unisom tablets in my opinion

• by sandi109

I have had insomnia for 5 years now, so finding a good reliable sleep medicine has been important to me. I used to take Benadryl, but found that after a while it stopped working. My body simply had developed a tolerance to it. I wanted to find an over the counter medicine that I wasn’t going to become addicted to. One that was safe and effective. One day when at the grocery store I spotted a box of Unisom tablets. I picked up the box to get a look at the ingredients, thinking it was simply Benadry under another name, which is commonly the case. It wasn’t. It contained a drug I had never heard of, doxylamine. Since I had never tried this ingredient before, I thought it was worth the try. I had very low expectations since I have tried so many OTC drugs and herbal products that just don’t live up to their name. That night I took my first dose and all I can say is that I am glad I did! Within twenty minutes I began to feel drowsy and relaxed. And a short

time later, I was out like a light. Unbelievable. I slept through the night, something I rarely do. It felt great being able to sleep so well. This product delivers. Problem is it continues to deliver, and continues. Sort of like the Energizer bunny. It doesn’t know when to quit. Just like Benadryl, there is a pretty major hangover effect that goes into the next day. This effect for me varies from day to day, but on average lasts a few hours after I get up. I just feel very drowsy, not very alert. I hate this feeling but after a few hours it goes away and I feel great. Bottom line is I feel better after this side effect has worn off than I would have if I hadn’t gotten a good night’s rest, so I feel it is worth this burden.

I have taken this medicine regularly for about five years now. Here is my overall long term use appraisal. It does work well, but my body does develop a tolerance to it. Which means I have to take short breaks from it in order to get the ...

• full benefit of it. Fortunately, the breaks I take are very short. Usually only a day or two. My routine is to take Unisom for 2 or 3 days, then follow that up with a day or two of either taking Benadryl or nothing at all. This constant shifting seems to work well. When I go back to taking the Unisom after this break it works as well as the first time I took it. If however I get overzealous and take it for a week at a time, it usually stops working and I need a few extra days off from it. So I try to not take it too many days.

I have taken many products for sleep, both over the counter and prescription, and from my experience Unisom is the best thing out there. I realize it is not good to get yourself dependent on sleep medication, but since there is no risk of addiction, I feel this is extremely safe. Five years ago when I started it, I loved it so much I took it 4 months straight before my body got used to it.

I stopped taking it cold turkey for several weeks and I never once had any side effects from that. That’s when I realized you need to take breaks.

My ratings: 10—effectiveness. Works great! I sleep like a baby on it!

8—side effects. Hangover effect which can last up to 4 hours after awakening. It can be quite difficult to function at times, so it is a concern.

9–safety. Very safe. No addiction potential. The hangover effect can be an issue if you need to drive. Is usually not that severe. For me, this side effect has gotten worse over time. Could be the younger you are, less of an issue. Try to avoid driving for at least and hour or two after awakening.

Overall rating: 9

Be aware that there are two Unisom products on the market. Unisom tablets, which is the one I just reviewed and Unisom sleep gels, which has diphenhydramine, the ingredient in Benadryl. I have purchased the wrong item by accident, not knowing there was more than one, so I just thought I’d mention it. This one does not compare to the Unisom tablets in my opinion.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1709826760930/k2311a097/9.7.09