Orajel Tooth Desensitizer
  • When I was younger, about fourteen years old, I had a rather discouraging experience at the dentists, and walked away with a mouth full of blood because they allowed a dental student to work on my and when she used the scraper on my teeth she kept catching and ripping my gums with it
  • The other problem I had with this medication is that it's not long lasting in the least, even with the maximum strength variety
  • So, in the end, I do not recommend this product at all

• by Nikki Hanna

I’ve long had issues with my teeth. When I was younger, about fourteen years old, I had a rather discouraging experience at the dentists, and walked away with a mouth full of blood because they allowed a dental student to work on my and when she used the scraper on my teeth she kept catching and ripping my gums with it. Every two seconds I was hearing “oh, sorry”, until I literally couldn’t take it anymore and begged her to stop, and left practically in tears. Since then, I’ve had a terrible fear of the dentists, and needless to say, as a result my teeth have suffered horribly. And, for a long while in my earlier years, I didn’t have any dental insurance to my name, so even when problems did arise, I was left dealing with them in whatever over-the-counter methods I could find. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn’t, sometimes I’d carry myself to the dental

school for an emergency extraction, because I knew I’d only have to pay $30 and they’d knock me out for the procedure.

Well, during one of those no-insurance times in my life, I had a severe toothache that seemed to spawn out of nowhere. I had a nasty habit of chewing ice, however, so I suppose “nowhere” isn’t completely accurate. I was chewing on a piece of ice, crunching away, when suddenly an actualy piece of my wisdom tooth chipped off, and I was overcome by an intense pain. I tried rinsing my mouth with salt water, because I was told that’s sometimes effective, but it didn’t work because I wasn’t experiencing an infection (which the salt water would bring out), but was experiencing an exposed nerve. So I immediately carried myself to the drug store and bought some orajel tooth desensitizer, maximum strength, I might add. I was standing in line at the store and was applying ...

• it right then and there because I just couldn’t stand the pain any longer.

And yes, immediately it began to work. However, there are a multitude of problems with this medication. First off, the taste is absolutely horrid. There ARE flavored varieties of this gel, but even then it’s hardly bareable. You can cover it up with the words “vanilla” or “strawberry” all you want, but it’s still a disgusting taste, and that’s because of the numbing agent in the gel. And then, everything you eat, no matter how long ago you’ve used the gel (unless it was a day or more ago) ends up tasting like orajel on some level or another. when you’re already feeling bad and in pain, the last thing you want is to be suffering from forced starvation because all the food you try to eat tastes awful.

The other problem I had with this medication is that it’s not long lasting in

the least, even with the maximum strength variety. It felt like I needed to reapply it just ten minutes after I applied it the first time. Hardly conducive to helping when you can’t even leave your house or function because of the orajel you’re constantly having to reapply. And, not only that, but it’s a total mess to apply. You put the gel on your finger tip or a cotton swab (beware of leaving cotton fibers all over your mouth with this method), and rub it on the affected tooth, but there is something about this medication that triggers the spit glands and you feel like you need to spit every five seconds because you’re mouth is filling up constantly, and then you wonder, when you do spit, if you aren’t spitting out all the medication to begin with.

So, in the end, I do not recommend this product at all. Just far too many problems that outweight it’s potential good.

emilyivory says :

Something like this: or a dental cement would have been more effective. It would have covered the exposed nerve and held you over until you could get in for an emergency dental visit. Just thought I’d share in case something like this ever happens to you again. Cheers

Joanna says :

I have used Orajel before and I really enjoy it. I found it especially useful when I had braces. There were times that my teeth would hurt so much after each visit that I couldn’t eat. The Orajel made getting my braces tightened a lot easier than it would have been otherwise.

Darling Violetta says :

Orajel is intended more for the temporary numbing of the gum area as opposed to the tooth itself. It does make everything taste awful - but what is the point in applying it if you intend to stuff your face right away.. which will just cause it all to slip away anyhow?

zzabby says :

no offense.. you’re using orajel on an exposed nerve? you have to be some kind of stupid. it’s not going to be COMPLETELY EFFECTIVE on something like that.
    there’s a reason why vicodin works well when you’re in pain post surgery. it’s a combination of things at prescription strength that eases the pain. you pop a couple advil? you’ll probably still be in pain.

I think your review is a bit uneducated and also poorly given because you’re using something like that on something that REQUIRES medical assistance.

had my teeth knocked in my teens. one tooth was actually ripped out too. incredible pain, visible nerves. my mom applied the stuff to my mouth. I could still FEEL the pain, but it was tolerable for the 2hr ride we took to get to the dentist.

wisdom teeth? it worked amazingly well and i barely knew they were growing in (except I couldnt eat and sometimes I drooled but it’s okay)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26709826630830/k2311a097/9.7.09