Monsters Inside Me show  » TV  »
  • I was very interested in this story because I love medical dramas
  • I had a scare where I thought I had meningitis recently, and I had to go to the hospital to get checked out
  • Also, it was interesting to learn about the medical condition of rat lung worm, which I had never heard of before, and I like to learn about new things
  • I don’t know why I like being scared so much, but I do, and I think many people do who watch these kinds of shows

• by Opalina143

Monsters Inside me is a show on Animal Planet. It is about parasites that infect people and cause terrible symptoms. It is often graphic and hard to watch, as it shows worms and other things inside people’s bodies. Every episode has a different theme. Notably, the focus of the show is on parasites in Americans and America, rather than those that infect people in places such as Asia and the tropics.

In this episode, entitled “Outbreak” the stories all revolve around incidents where many people became ill. The first story is about a medical student who came home from spring break. He soon developed a very severe headache and stiff neck. Rushed to the hospital, it was determined that he was suffering from meningitis, a dangerous condition where

the lining around the brain is swollen, leading to brain damage which is fatal if untreated. Soon all of the friends who went on the trip are ill with this deadly infection. It turns out that the culprit is the dreaded rat lung worm, which has infected these people due to them eating salad that was contaminated with an infected snail or slug.

I was very interested in this story because I love medical dramas. It was a little scary to watch about the man’s symptoms because it is easy to imagine myself in his situation. I had a scare where I thought I had meningitis recently, and I had to go to the hospital to get checked out. So it was easy to relate to the fear ...

• and stress that he must have been feeling. Also, it was interesting to learn about the medical condition of rat lung worm, which I had never heard of before, and I like to learn about new things.

The next story was about an outbreak of illness in Milwaukee. First a man with Aids died of an intestinal sickness, and then more and more people fell ill. Health officials struggled to figure out what was spreading the illness. It turned out to be a parasite in the water. It was fascinating to follow the investigation with the scientists, wondering what the source of the outbreak could be. I like a good mystery, and this was interesting to watch.

Finally, the last story was about a terrible flesh-eating skin rash that

infected people in Texas. Again, medical authorities were stumped about what this condition was and why it was showing up in the population. It turned out that it was a parasite spread by sand flies.

Another thing I liked about this episode was that all of the people who fell ill were in the United States. This made their stories scarier to me. When you read about illnesses that infect people across the ocean, it doesn’t scare you, but when you read about people falling ill closer to home, it is scary. It was like watching a good horror movie and being scared. I don’t know why I like being scared so much, but I do, and I think many people do who watch these kinds of shows.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 10709826180830/k2311a097/9.7.09