Specialized Tarmac Elite 2009 Road Bike  » Other  »
  • I bought a 56cm Specialized Tarmac Elite in May of 2009
  • I love my Tarmac, and I will hold on to it for many years to come

• by Tarmac

I bought a 56cm Specialized Tarmac Elite in May of 2009. This bike was equipped with a “half” 105 drivetrain. The carbon frame is the lowest end carbon produced by Specialized.

These specification worried me. Was I getting a low-end bike for $2500? I was allowed to test ride the bike in the parking lot of my local bike shop. It felt great, shifted smoothly, and was an aggressive riding position (very responsive) I fell in love! Not even kidding. I bought the

bike, took it home, polished it and went to bed dreaming of the long rides ahead of me.

Now, I have not owned a very expensive road bike previously so this was a significant leap forward for myself. The riding position made me feel confident in cornering and at speeds. I was able to race on the bike and feel the difference in power and speed from my old aluminum bike. I loved it.

The drivetrain, being half 105, it included cheap wheels,

• no-name brakes and a tiagra crankset. I opted to switch the brakes, almost immedietly I might add, to Ultegra brakes. They provided much more stopping power and increased confidence when coming down mountain switchbacks. The cranks were switched out when my bottom bracket died in 4 months after lots of rain rides. I put in a Dura-ace Bottom bracket which was recomended by the shop technician. And the cranks were upgraded to Ultegra to match the brakes. This new crankset felt stiffer
        when using the higher gear combos (53/11)

The bike makes a perfect entry level race orientated bike! No questions asked, this will get you into racing and you will be able to be competitive! I love my Tarmac, and I will hold on to it for many years to come.

Specialized offers lifetime warranty on the frame and I cherish that dearly, knowing that if/when my frame cracks/fails I will be able to get a new one or upgraded one at a discount pretty quickly.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 12709825960730/k2311a097/9.7.09