Citizens State Bank  » Finance  »
Washinton St., New Baltimore, MI
  • I've never been a small town girl, and I think it's incredibly charming that the tellers and other associates at these banks can laugh and joke with us and call us by name whenever we call or go in
  • A bank that knows their clients is definitely a bank I want to stick with
  • He called me to ask if there was a problem he wasn't aware of, since I deal with the budgeting in most instances, and told him he should call the bank

• by Nikki Hanna

Originally, upon moving to Michigan nine years ago, I was a little disconcerted to see that none of the banks I had been familiar with and had used in Arkansas were available here. Of course, there was Bank of America and TCF, but I’d heard such awful things about those banks that I never wanted to extend myself to give them a try. So, I ended up starting a bank account with Citizens First State Bank in Marine City. When we moved to New Baltimore a year or two later, we were again discouraged because there wasn’t a location of this bank nearby, and we were also having problems with checking fees that we were not informed of when we opened the account. So then we were on the hunt for a new bank and this is when we ran across Citizens State Bank, which is not affiliated with the aforementioned bank.

>From day one, we were very pleased with this bank. The staff at our local offices are always so friendly, and

whenever we call with a question or go into the bank for deposits, they know us by face and name and we’re always greeted very warmly. I’ve never been a small town girl, and I think it’s incredibly charming that the tellers and other associates at these banks can laugh and joke with us and call us by name whenever we call or go in. A bank that knows their clients is definitely a bank I want to stick with.

We’ve never had any problems with hidden fees that sprang up out of nowhere. In fact, they warned us that using our bank card as a debit card would result in a one dollar fee each time, but that’s usually not even the case… depends on what company or store or gas station we use our card as a debit at. Very rarely are we charged the fees. And, there are also many offices within a very short distance of each other, so no matter where we go in the state, we never ...

• seem to be out of reach of an ATM when one is needed.

Recently, the bank had quite a scare because thousands and thousands of their client records were stolen. My husband tried to use our bank card while at work one day, and it was declined. He tried it again, and again it was declined. He called me to ask if there was a problem he wasn’t aware of, since I deal with the budgeting in most instances, and told him he should call the bank. When he did, they explained what happened about clients personal information going missing, and that they’ve cancelled the debit/credit cards of anyone in the “danger zone” of having their information stolen. Of course, we would’ve liked to have received notice of this before our cards were discontinued, but she assured us that they had only just received news about it themselves and were quick to act, and that letters were out in the mail concerning the matter and we should be receiving them shortly.

We had

to be issued a new card, and we received it after only a week. Much faster than she initially told us we would receive it. The only other problem we’ve encountered was when we were charged an overdraft fee when our account wasn’t even in the negative. Apparently, certain restaurants, when you add a tip to your charge, will charge your account twice, once with the tip and once without, and the charge without the tip will end up falling off your account once the charge with the tip clears. The associate at the bank couldn’t fully explain to me why it happens this way, but I was charged an overdraft fee because both charges from a restaurant were going through my account. of course, she apologized profusely and said they were trying to update their computers so that this didn’t happen, and she quickly fixed the problem.

I definitely like this bank because they are incredibly friendly and efficient and when there is a problem, they are quick to fix it. Highly recommend.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 42709825760730/k2311a097/9.7.09