Shaw High Speed Internet with High-Speed Xtreme-1
  • So far though, I think that it is really worth it
  • There has only been about three outages in the past six months, with each outage lasting for about 30 minutes so it wasn’t an issue as far as I’m concerned
  • The Shaw technician just left and when I had time off a few weeks later, I decided to contact Shaw technical support
  • Only recently, I bought an old desktop iMac with an old 9.0 operating system which I could not connect to Shaw Internet

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I am paying Shaw Cable $58.16 plus tax for my high speed Internet connection and some of my friends say that this is quite expensive. So far though, I think that it is really worth it.

My friend who lives five blocks away from me is a Shaw subscriber as well, but he does not want to pay the extra $10 monthly for the High-Speed Xtreme-1. Whenever I come to his place and use his computer to check my email, I find that his Internet connection is very slow.

So I guess the $10 add-on does make a big difference. Just recently, the same friend came by my place to test the speed of my connection. He was so surprised that he was able to download about 40 videos at 45 megabytes each in just one sitting.

He was so happy about this because the deadline for the video download account

he paid for was expiring in an hour or two and he was able to download all the video he wanted.

$60 may be quite an amount to pay monthly but then Shaw’s Internet with High-Speed Xtreme is way fast and it’s always on. There has only been about three outages in the past six months, with each outage lasting for about 30 minutes so it wasn’t an issue as far as I’m concerned.

The only issue that I have with Shaw is their technical support. When the technician first came by to install the connection, he gave up on me right away. He said that the Shaw connection was fine but that there was something wrong with my laptop which was my own responsibility to fix.

He did not elaborate, he just advised me to take my laptop to a computer technician. This was laughable because my laptop was ...

• fully operational and I was not aware of any virus contamination.

The Shaw technician just left and when I had time off a few weeks later, I decided to contact Shaw technical support. I asked for a senior techie and asked him what could really be wrong.

He advised me to try taking off the firewall and anti-virus program and then hooking up the Internet connection again. It worked and has been working ever since! I just had to put back all the security software again and the issue never revisited my laptop again.

Only recently, I bought an old desktop iMac with an old 9.0 operating system which I could not connect to Shaw Internet. Twice, Shaw technical support told me that there was something wrong with the Mac and would not elaborate any further.

The last techie told me to go to the Mac’s control panel and change

the Ethernet connection to use the DHCP server setting. It still did not work, and he just gave up on me and told me to talk to the Mac people. Again, the Shaw techie’s conclusion was there was something wrong with my Mac.

You know what, after I hung up on the guy, I rebooted my Mac and it connected to Shaw Internet right away. So the moral of the story? Ask the Shaw techie for help each time, but don’t believe everything he or she says.

Take his advise with a grain of salt, then try some handy steps on your own that might work, such as rebooting or going with some tasks on your own hunch. Otherwise, your Internet connection won’t be working at all if you just relied on what the Shaw techie had to say.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 21709825080630/k2311a097/9.7.09